Author Topic: Thickness of Bone Points  (Read 12403 times)

Offline markinengland

Re: Thickness of Bone Points
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 05:07:58 am »
Andrea,
Let us know how it goes. I have some bone I want to try. I was thinking of doing a point similar to a target point, footed into the shaft. Bullet point at one end and a fine wedge shape at the other.
Have you worked bone before? Smells nasty when sawn or any heat generated. Better with slower cooler hand tools.
Mark in England

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 03:17:59 pm »
Don't worry, I've been documenting it well with my baby(Canon Rebel XT dSLR), and I promise there will be a bone point build-a-long. Mark, I've cut the blanks out with my dremel and some cutoff wheels, I discovered the hard way how smelly the dust is. Unfortunately, I don't have any hand tools with me here at college that would be sufficient for working the stuff, just a few tiny files.

There's a spot in the bone I'm using that I've been thinking of making a target-type point, where two of the planes (flat surfaces of the bone) meet and form a thicker point (since the rest is pretty consistently only 1/4").

You know, I think I'll post what I have so far in the Build-A-Long section. Then some more work to do on the porch! It's a balmy 35º out today.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

humaza

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 09:31:40 pm »
I picked up a buffalo rib today at this minipowwow here in town for this purpose.

greenbean

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 01:20:38 pm »
Here are a couple of deer bone points I have made. I use them to rabbit hunt. They are just a little thicker than a quarter and hold up really well. The holes I put in them so I can make a bunch and put them on a fishing line loop so I can keep up with them.
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dustybaer

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 02:50:28 pm »
man, them there points are nice.

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 03:44:05 pm »
Wow, those are gorgeous. I'd have to take the bone I've got and saw it in half thickness-wise to get it close to that thin. How sharp are they?
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

greenbean

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 04:40:22 pm »
They will cut you if your not careful. I use a bench grinder then fine sandpaper. To finish them I burnish and polish with leather.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »
Andrea, if you decide to hunt with the points, I would suggest some serrations along the edges.. bone tends to be so smoothe that deflection is a problem on slick haired critters...... you can do the serrations with a small file. Pluss they look really cool. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Staver

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 10:09:17 pm »
Just curious, does it help to heat treat bone points to make em tuffer?  Joe H

greenbean

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 10:18:48 pm »
Heat makes it more brittle and will break easier.

Offline BryanB

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 08:55:47 pm »
Andrea-
Bone points are fun to make and shoot.  I have only use cannon bones form elk, but I'm sure cattle are similar.
If your worried about the strength, soak them with super glue and re-file the edge.  This will add weight and increase strength.
Here is the style I like.  I'd also recomend pluging the cane with a heavy wood such as Rami (dowels) to re-inforce and add weight.
Bryan

greenbean

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 11:34:10 pm »
Good point Bryan. I should have mentioned that I use osage inserts and nocks to give my arrows weight.

humaza

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 11:43:06 pm »
that is an awesome point

how much of a weight difference does filling the cane make? why even make an arrow out of cane if you have to fill it?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 12:19:51 am »
Nice Points Bryan....looks like a Meat Getter to me!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 03:00:13 am by YankeeTejas »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

greenbean

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 01:06:21 am »
If you use a heavy wood it can add quite abit of mass, which means more kenetic energy transer from the string to the arrow.
Also I have had problems with points (bone or stone) spliting the arrow. In my oppinion if you shoot cane arrow from a high
poundage bow it is safer to use hardwood nocks and point inserts. Another handy thing is if you arrow breaks more times than not, your point will stll be securely fixed in the insert. All you have to do is replace the shaft.