Author Topic: Thickness of Bone Points  (Read 12402 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Re: Thickness of Bone Points
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 07:10:39 pm »
real nice point. i dont know how to flintknap, so im sure my upcomeing sourwood and canes will have bone points.
lets just shoot it

jamie

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2008, 10:40:51 pm »
andrea one other secret to bone is too sharpen them towards the shaft. if you sharpen towards the tip it has a habit of breaking the tip off. peace

Offline stickbender

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 11:53:38 pm »

Adrea;  I have made some nice bone points.  I personally like to keep them at least 1/4" thick.  Then I shape them in the style I want, Usually triangular, and then I thin them down from the middle towards the edge.  Leaving it looking like a diamond shape looking from the front.  In other words, it is like looking at a double edged dagger from the front.  I leave about 3/4" of shaft, and thin it down from a 1/4" or larger, to about an 1/8, or 3/16".  That way the shaft can but up against the arrowhead, and you can taper the shaft down to it, so there is less resistance on penetration.  If I knew how to post pictures I would post a picture of one I have left.  Or I could send it to you.  If you want me to send it to you drop me an e-mail.  Curly494@bellsouth.net  .  Like they said if you are just going to use them for targets, round the shoulders, or angle the shoulders out from the tang.  you could make a leaf pattern blade, or flatten them out by sanding, or filing, or grinding, and glue two or mor slabs together, and file them, or grind them down to a semi round shape, then put them in a drill bit, and with 80 grit sand paper, or a file, turn them down to a dowel shape, and shape a feild point on it.  Lot of work, but beef bone takes a nice shine, and some bones have character shading, and coloring in them.  I used to make jewelry out of them.  They make nice knife handles, and pistol grips, inlays,and pendants, and such.

Phillip K

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2008, 02:51:20 am »
Sorry these are the only Pics of the bone head arrows I could find right Now,Also sorry it took so long.
The points are about 1/8 by whatever long. I spined the Aroows to about 40-50 because the tips are so light still learnin. I will post more pics in arrows of the new Field point arrs Ive been working on soon.

[attachment deleted by admin]