Author Topic: questions about arrowheads.  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Mafort

questions about arrowheads.
« on: June 18, 2018, 08:04:47 pm »
so im making some new arrows but im having some issues deciding which kind of head to use. i read somewhere that a 2 blade broadhead was better at making an entry but a three bladed broadhead makes a bigger entry hole and therefore a better blood trail to follow. i need some help. which one do you use and why?

Online osage outlaw

Re: questions about arrowheads.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 08:36:20 pm »
I use a razor sharp 2 blade for maximum penetration.  Single bevel works great.  If you hit them where it counts the blood trail will be short and easy to follow.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:40:16 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 08:47:22 pm »
I agree with Clint.  I have used Wenzel Woodsman, a 3 blade but never taken a deer with one. It's a narrow 3:1 broadhead.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mafort

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:56:09 pm »
Reason i ask is because im looking at getting the bodkin 3 blade broadheads from 3 riversarchery.

Online osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 09:53:15 pm »
That picture is from a Zwickey - Cliff Zwickey 2 blade.  3rivers carry them.  I had great blood trails with them.  I could see red spray coming out as both deer ran off.  I will be using them again this fall.  I used 3 blade points out of modern equipment when penetration wasn't a concern.   

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 12:34:04 am »
Not sure if I asked this on another thread, but what is the best way to sharpen to the razor edge.  I have a Lansky set up, and a bunch of stones, files, and hones?  Don't have a slow grinder yet.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 05:12:03 am »
I sharpened  mine with the Lanskey kit

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 09:22:10 am »
The Bodkins should work just fine. You don't need three blades as long as you put it between the ribs and through the lungs.

I use the Lansky Broadhead Sharpener from Amazon for $9 and my daughter uses it on her Muzzy Trocars.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 10:16:48 am »
OSage,, Rob,
Do you use the 17 or the 20 degree bevel?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Online osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 11:59:00 am »
I use whatever angle matches the edge bevel closest.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 01:11:47 pm »
That picture is from a Zwickey - Cliff Zwickey 2 blade.  3rivers carry them.  I had great blood trails with them.  I could see red spray coming out as both deer ran off.  I will be using them again this fall.  I used 3 blade points out of modern equipment when penetration wasn't a concern.

i saw those and they looked awesome however kentucky regs wont let me use barbed points like that for hunting.

Online osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 07:52:25 pm »
Have you checked the regulations lately?  They used to be illegal in Indiana and some other states.  Since the mechanical broadheads came out a lot of states have removed the barbed restriction.  That's why Zwickey reintroduced the Cliff Zwickey point.  I know they are legal in Michigan and Indiana now.  I'm not sure about Kentucky. 

Offline Mafort

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 08:47:33 pm »
hmmm i guess they changed it. i looked it up and it just says they cant be chemically treated and must be 7/8 wide.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 09:54:52 am »
The lansky is a 22.5 angle, but I don't think they angle is that important. Its a broad head penetrating at 130FPS or faster by the time it gets to the deer and not a knife.

A long sloping blade like the Bod-Kin will cut better than the Trocar chisel points my daughter uses on her compound with a 45 degree angle of attack and they kill and bleed out just fine. Worryign abut the angle of the grind is overkill, IMO. Traditional guys have been stropping with files for a ragged serrated edge for years and it kills just fine because of the speed of the entry, but you wouldn't want to butcher with it.  ;D
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 02:53:14 pm »
Clint,
          Love that kind of blood trail, no doubt you found that deer...I used Zwicky Eskimo for years...Love the 2 blade and more importantly the "cut on contact tip"...The cut on contact point penetrates much easier than a chisel point...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;