Author Topic: Chokcherry question  (Read 1514 times)

Offline trail walker

Chokcherry question
« on: June 19, 2018, 08:34:54 am »
So I found this nice piece of chokcherry  and was wondering if It would work with a 25 inch draw with a 52 inch bow. I know that it will have allot of string fallow unbacked. And I would only have enough sinew for 1 maybe 2 layers.( 2 elk leg tendons) would that even do much for me?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Chokcherry question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:04:55 am »
I've not made a bow from choke cherry but I'd thing it would be possible, especially with a bendy handle bow with or without sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline trail walker

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 05:44:40 pm »
Ok because I want to try a narrow western plains style bow i can shoot without sinew on it for a while.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 06:17:00 pm »
You may find examples of that style bows made from choke cherry in Jim Hamm and Steve Allely's Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows and Quivers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline trail walker

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 11:48:23 am »
I do not have them unfortunately. I have been trying to research online.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 01:49:27 pm »
Yes you will be fine. It is stronger in compression so a backing is a must if you want it to last. With a 2 layer backing you can make a nice little bow. It is not as fast as other woods but I have found it does the trick and shoots pretty good.

Offline trail walker

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 10:34:15 pm »
So I have been pondering what you said guys and I have the bow quick dried in the Utah sun. Loefflerchuk (other opinions welcome!!) I want to putt the little bit of sinew I have on it. I am on a 1 month tome crunch, that's the way it is unfortunately :-[. How long will a light sinew backing on that cherry to dry enough to be used.??

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 10:44:33 pm »
 You could start shooting after a month or so after the sinew is applied. Rawhide could get you shooting faster.

Offline trail walker

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 11:17:20 pm »
How much faster? Or if that's to long maybe I will just leave it unbacked and use it with the realization that It will not last as long.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:27:48 pm by trail walker »

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 07:56:19 pm »
I would not leave it in the sun. It may check. Get it down to near finished bow size. If you are in a huge hurry back it and you could tiller it in 8 days or so. one layer of sinew will cure in 2 weeks or less. 2 layers will take 2 months. Sounds like you just want a quick bow. taking your time will make it better but you can get it shooting in a couple weeks and it will gain a little power over time.