Author Topic: Steaming  (Read 3099 times)

Offline DC

Steaming
« on: June 20, 2018, 05:15:22 pm »
I just started steaming the maple for the next bow. It's about 1"x2". It had only been steaming for maybe 15 minutes and I was playing with clamp positions and such and I noticed that I had no problem moving it to the position I want it. What I'm wondering is should I stop now and let it cool or is there an advantage to going the full 45 min to an hour. Would I get more springback by taking the shortcut? Is there the possibility that the center isn't hot yet and that may come back to haunt me during tillering? By the time I get an answer the hour will  be up but for next time.

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Steaming
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 06:16:15 pm »
I usually air on the side of caution when it comes to steaming. I'm sure the wood species makes a difference, but they must have that rule for a reason.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 09:59:35 pm »
I bent small recurves on a yew bow I'm making with 15 minutes of steam for each tip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 01:34:57 am »
Depends on wood species, thickness and the mood of the wood fairies  ;D
Steaming set up is important too, if you are getting real steam (steam is invisible) or just bathing it in water vapour (cloudy visible stuff).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline simk

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 02:05:12 am »
Could the pro's maybe post a pic of their steaming device - I'm just a beginner and can therefore only steam max. the diameter of my wife's pan's  ;D
As im planning to build a decent steaming device that would be very helpful for me.
Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 04:13:28 am »
This post from my blog shows how I do it.
Steam generated using a wallpaper stripper, they are pretty cheap, will give about 40 minutes of steam and shut themselves off if they run dry.
I've recently shortened the steam pipe to stop wasting heat and improve convenience. I use various things to contain the heat round the bow.. plastic 5L and 10L containers are good (best to wrap with something to keep the heat in). Drainpipes etc for longer sections.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2012/02/spot-of-steam-bending.html
Del

Offline simk

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 04:23:22 am »
thanx del - this help's a lot - didn't even know that there's a device called "wallpaper stripper" - must have! [Edit: Orderd...]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:29:40 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 07:32:14 am »
My steaming set up is a large pot of boiling water with alum foil over it and the area to be steamed and foil wrapped around the bow limb outside of the pot to protect it from the heat coming around the pot.
Clint has a cool set up with a steam generator and PVC pipe. I saw it in action at the Classic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 09:08:58 am »
Mine is a clothes steamer. Got it at a thrift store for $5. I steam in plastic bags. You can buy heavier plastic tubing that is reusable.
PS If I overfill this one I can get an hour of steam. A wallpaper stripper would probably last longer but an hour has done everything I need.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:25:36 am by DC »

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 07:17:16 pm »
How many times will you guys steam a piece before you give up on it. I have steamed this piece of Maple three times trying to get a sideways bend out and it keeps coming back. Is there a time when the wood turns to mush. I have steamed the full hour, overbent it by 20-30% and let it cool for 3-4 hours. sometime after that I look at it and  the bend is back. Brat fuel?

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 10:05:14 pm »
DC I have the same basic set up as you and with the bag it bends very fast, 10-15 mins
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 01:47:44 am »
IF a bend keeps returning, try fixing it in place with dry heat after steaming.
I had gorgeous piece of Yew that did that... got her fixed eventually.
I think patience will give out before the wood is ruined :)
Del

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 06:55:40 am »
I have some beautiful dogleg hickory staves that seem oblivious to steam straightening, they always go back. I will try a heat gun on the the next time I try to straighten them.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 09:05:49 am »
IF a bend keeps returning, try fixing it in place with dry heat after steaming.
I had gorgeous piece of Yew that did that... got her fixed eventually.
I think patience will give out before the wood is ruined :)
Del
Do you do a full heat treat or just get it hot? I have an infrared thermometer.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 09:17:15 am »
I like that clothes steamer setup.  I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for one....