Author Topic: Feathering on the belly - which way is which  (Read 2737 times)

Offline OTDEAN

Feathering on the belly - which way is which
« on: June 21, 2018, 11:44:01 am »
Howdy,

When chasing the growth rings on the belly of the bow to get a good taper to begin with before tiller.  Do you take some  of the feathering or arrow heads as I like to call them  ;D off to get the arrow ahead to point more in the middle?  I assume if the arrow head is off to one side its thicker on that side so you take some off until the arrow head returns to centre?  I used to know this but forgot!  Been a while, already bust one need some advice before I proceed on the next so I can get one to  (SH) (SH) (SH)

Cheers guys   (-P

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Feathering on the belly - which way is which
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:27:47 pm »
I don't pay attention to rings on the belly.  I taper the thickness of the limb.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 12:35:28 pm »
I don't pay attention to rings on the belly.  I taper the thickness of the limb.
Same here. The bend is what I watch.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 12:44:49 pm »
If growth rings are even  there will be a fair degree of accuracy with that but it should be a product of that and correct taper rather than the other way around.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 03:32:39 pm »
Don't buy into the feathered grain nonsense, I did early on and ruined several staves trying to making the feathering just perfect. I picked up that tidbit out of one of the early bow making books or videos. This supports my conclusion that there is a lot of bad info in much of the reference material out there, unfortunately, as newbies with no experience we buy into what we read.

Who ever wrote that feathering was important must have never worked a snaky osage stave with a little twist.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 05:38:35 pm »
I don't bother with it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 08:37:29 pm »
   When I rough a bow out I chase a ring on the belly. Once I start tillering I ignore that and just tiller for best tiller. I am usually at least 1 full ring or more thicker than I will be when finished at this point.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 11:25:31 pm »
What these guys said. Feathering the rings wont give you a good tiller. You want a smooth, consistent thickness taper. That will give you an even bend.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 12:27:29 am »
@OTDEAN
Feathering rings doesn't give any results when typed into google. Not sure what that is. If you are thinking about shape of rings, here is from my recent bow. The first picture shows clearly where does taper coming from. Funny thing that dot is not the actual center of bow but nevertheless it bends nice through that area. I think there was a dip in that part and so it came to be like that, instead of going from true center.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 06:14:48 am »
It works to a point on good straight grained wood, good even ringed wood such as ash/Hackberry/Elm and sometime Hickory, not so good on other woods such as Osage. I watch it a little on the rough lay out but don't  take long to see if it is helping and keeping the limb tapper and side to side even. :) as in most of bow building  Just another tool but not a for sure way. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 06:49:41 am »
I almost completely ignore them. In the vast majority of selfbows I've made, the growth rings are inconsistent in thickness and I would have ruined many staves trying to follow any such advice.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 08:28:53 am »
Ditto on whats' been stated previously.It's more important for the sides to be of even thickness.With the centerline as close along the crown as possible.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:59:32 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 10:29:38 am »
   Not too long ago I posted on here about a bow I was roughing out using the rings. Before I knew it the thickness on one edge was like 3/8" while 1 1/2" away on the other side of the limb my edge was about 5/8 thick. I did catch it in time to save the bow from limb twist but just barely in time.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 11:21:13 am »
IF you can pull it off without limb twist or crappy tiller, DO IT! Then in honor of the accomplishment call that bow The Unicorn and put up your tools for ever.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 11:56:59 am »
I'll ask again, what is feathering?