Author Topic: Wife Hook  (Read 3732 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Wife Hook
« on: June 23, 2018, 05:57:49 pm »
   Yea, the ''Wife Hook''...Lol   I know it's not the greatest of names but funny and ear catching...My wife has so many times swung a Gill over to me and all I could see was line in the throat...The fish seemed to have swallowed hook, line, sinker and half the float,Lol...  This hook has saved me so much time and more importantly saved the fishes lives...They cannot swallow this...I make these from the smallest size guitar string...I poke a 1/4 '' piece through the eye, bend and wrap around about 7 times, it's that simple...
    This hook is good for the fish, wife, kids and me...
                                                                                                                                                                      Don

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:30:27 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Wife Hook
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 06:54:52 pm »
If it was flipped towards the hook it'd be like those weedless rigs. The fish should be happy to bite that the one.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 02:56:17 am »
Good idea  (A) :OK - Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 06:24:57 am »
that's a dandy idea..

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 06:31:38 am »
  Thanks guy's...   With the wire in the back it stays out of the way of the hook/bite...All I can say is it works great and allows me to release the fish unharmed...
                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 07:32:03 am »
At first I though it was going to be one of the shepherds staffs. The wife could just hook you around the Neck and lead you around like a lamb.lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 08:17:40 am »
  Interesting title eh Bj...Lol

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 08:01:52 am »
if avoiding damages to the fish is your main concern filing out the barb is probably the best option
you will loose some fish if you're not cautious enough but they'll have minimal harm

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 08:28:27 am »
Now if only there was a way for my brother to stop hooking my legs when we go fishing ???

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 08:37:46 am »
I don't know how true this is but I always heard that if the fish totally swallows the hook you should just cut the line, and the fishes stomach acid would take care of the hook in just a couple of days.
Trevor

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 11:39:27 am »
that applied for crocodiles  (lol)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 12:43:51 pm »
Brilliant idea, Don. I like it a lot.

The old wives tale about hooks dissolving isn't true. Drop one in a glass of water, or even salt water and see how long it lasts :)

If you leave a hook in a released fish its sure to die. Pinching the barb may help on occasion. If they are hooked in the throat or gills they are in trouble no matter.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 06:43:22 am »
      Thanks Chris...I will post some pics of this hook in action next week...Plan on a few fishing trips during vacation...I know you have a few buddies that change guitar strings every now and then...
                                                                                                                      Don

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 11:39:48 am »
   Went fishing this AM and wanted to show exactly how the wire on the hook blocks the fish from swallowing...We caught over 40 Gills between the two of us and kept 8, turned the rest back unharmed...
                                                                                                                               Don

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 11:49:15 am »
That's a great idea! I'm going to make up a few of them for my girls for we go bobber fishing. By the time my little girls set the hook the things down in their stomach unfortunately