Author Topic: Crossbow, not quite primitive enough!  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Crossbow, not quite primitive enough!
« on: June 24, 2018, 05:50:48 am »
I'd post this in "Bows" except for the sights.
Bow is Boo Maple Ipe about 115# (originally 120, but probably settled down a tad)
Everything is handmade except the scope and rail (ok.. I didn't make the screws  ::) )
The adjustable elevation mount for the scope was fun to make it's based on a triple start acme lead screw and nut that gives 10mm of travel for one revolution of the wheel (found it online only £5, couldn't resist!)
Only got it sighted at 10 yards, I can try it at 20 when Mrs Cat isn't around  >:D
It shoots standard cheapo Ali' bolts at just a couple of fps short of 200
The stock is only really for development, it's just a plank of 1" Ash, but I may tart it up rather than rebuild a fancy one.
I don't expect I'll use it much, it was built for the challenge of it. Of course I'll take it a field shoot just to give it a serious try out.
It was a lot of work fiddling and fettling to get the trigger mechanism and safety to work smooth and reliable.
The horn string catchers on the limbs are very effective, I took some slo mo of 'em working. Shows the huge limb/string bounce  :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzVH8sQQkVo
Del
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:58:00 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Crossbow, not quite primitive enough!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:41:47 am »
Very cool Del. Someday when my shoulder gives up I'm probably gonna be trying to make  one to hunt with. Just curious if you tried it without scope? Not that it bothers me. Just curious.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 08:32:20 am »
Very cool Del. Someday when my shoulder gives up I'm probably gonna be trying to make  one to hunt with. Just curious if you tried it without scope? Not that it bothers me. Just curious.
Bjrogg
Yeah, I made a simple open sight first, which was ok. I just fancied messing with a scope', it's only a cheap one from China (£26 !) but I'm impressed with it. Mind I may find that the whole thing isn't solid enough to give groups at decent ranges.
It will be fun to try it round a 3D course :)
Del

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 08:54:41 am »
Well as the shoulder goes so do the eyes. Very cool Del. Always enjoy seeing what your working on
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:42:42 am »
Way to hang in there. That took a while and a few tries. Good job. Too bad it didn't make 200 fps. Maybe keep trying different measuring systems until you get a result that's just over a nice round number ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 12:15:04 pm »
Nice job!  Do you draw it with a hook pull?  I should find one for my bow hunter education class to help my student be legal in other states!  In Colorado, they are only legal in the rifle season for big game!  Like that scope and mount!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 12:25:18 pm »
Nice job!  Do you draw it with a hook pull?  I should find one for my bow hunter education class to help my student be legal in other states!  In Colorado, they are only legal in the rifle season for big game!  Like that scope and mount!
Hawkdancer
Nah, just put the butt on my belly and heave the string back... I may be an old git but the stomach muscles are still pretty good ::) It's a bit hard on the fingers, so for a days shooting I may need gloves.
I think a stirrup makes it cumbersome and is just asking to rick your back.
Del

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 12:33:12 pm »
Way to hang in there. That took a while and a few tries. Good job. Too bad it didn't make 200 fps. Maybe keep trying different measuring systems until you get a result that's just over a nice round number ;D ;D ;D
With a lighter bolt it gets over 200 fps, but having seen the limb vibration in slo mo' I think it's prob' going to be more durable with the heavier ones.
If I get into it I may make a maple f/glass prod, which I'm sure would be much faster and take a longer draw from a shorter limb.
I'll see how this one goes.
Just did a quick comparison while sighting it up.
Crossbow vs my regular bow (Twister)
Del

Offline FilipT

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 02:39:21 pm »
Personally I would paint it black, but otherwise very cool looking weapon.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 08:13:53 pm »
That thing is sweeeeet.   8)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 11:01:13 pm »
As to the drawing, isn't that what your squire is supposed to do?  (lol).  Remember, auld is 40 years aulder than we are ever going to be!  Nice shooting, btw!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry