Author Topic: Questions from newbie  (Read 4817 times)

Offline piotref1

Questions from newbie
« on: June 24, 2018, 01:05:56 pm »
Hello!
I've managed to find time to try my hand at childhood dream and to make a proper bow.
My questions are:
1. Are any of those usable? Even if it would be difficult task for first timer.
2. I'm a bit confused.. what type, shape etc of bow should I choose for first project. Open to suggestions!
3. I know that spalted wood is partially rotten/infested with fungi but.. I love the looks of it. Can it be used as a whole or decorative pieces?
4. Did I manage to ID the tree? 90% sure about black locust..

I know that I've to make tiller tree and get it placed somewhere but most important part is to know if they are even usable. If not.. They gonna make some nice canes. Especially spalted one.

Wood information

Black Locust:
-Width: 4cm (1,57 inches)
-Length: 124cm (48,81 inches)

American Cherry:
-Width: 4cm (1,57 inches)
-Length: 210cm(82,67 inches) overall, 140cm(55,11 inches) to the brown spot with knot

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Questions from newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 03:28:53 pm »
The first isn't black locust or cherry I don't think.
 Look up George Tsoukalas'(Jawge) website. Lots of good info for a beginner.
 Spalted wood is no good for a bow but you might be able to make a riser or tip overlays with it. Depends on how far gone it is.
Where do you live. Might help us with the wood ID.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline piotref1

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 04:52:27 pm »
I meant to write where I live..  Seems I've forgotten.
I live in Poland and to be more exact around the center of it.
I used Pl@ntNet app to ID trees and black locust came when comparing bark, fruits and leafs.. 
And will specify a bit. First tree leaves I've sent is what was ID as "American Cherry" by app, on second pic it's the right piece, left is what was ID as Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia).

Will check the website for sure! And thanks for reply ^ ^

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 11:35:06 pm »
As one newbie to another, remember the k.i.s.s. Principle!  Hickory ash, or oak, don't use no green or rotted wood!  Opps!, wrong song! (lol).  As you will see reasearching the various threads and sites, try a flat bow 66"-68",  leaves room to correct screw ups! And don't get in a rush, post lots of pictures of your progress, and the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!  These folks have many years experience to draw on, and they will all share it.  Make it to one of the gatherings if you can and try to find a bowyer in your region to link up with.  Several of the guys on the site are in Europe.  Hickory is a great starter wood - save all The cut offs, shavings and chips, and if you really screw up your first try, you can grill a "mean" steak! (lol).  Btw, we all seem to have a strange sense of humor!  Don't be afraid to use your humor as well!  Most of us can't even say "Hello" in Polish!  Welcome to PA!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 04:21:08 am »
spaliting is very pretty but it can't be used for bending as the black marks are where the wood used to be before the fungus ate it. keep it for the walking canes where it will be both beautiful and useful. 

Cherry is a bad choice of wood as it likes to snap with little warning.  I would suggest you find some hazel.  Find a piece growing very straight.  You may have to split a few stems as hazel likes to twist and you can't see the twist in the bark but it makes a great bow, can be forced to dry out quickly and I think it should be easy to find in your region?

As has been said, a flat bow is always the best starting point but 4cm is as bit too narrow, I would suggest 6cm at the centre of the stave as a minimum for a flat bow. 4cm is great for a long bow but they can be more difficult to tiller

Good luck and keep posting!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 10:06:08 am »
It’s been a long minute since I’ve cut any black locust. The bark pic definitely isn’t that and I don’t believe the pic of the leaves and seed pods is either. May be wrong about that, but if memory serves me, black locust has single winged seeds in a cluster, but like I said I may be confusing that with something else. Black locust bark is pretty distinctive though. I think the one with the pods might be honey locust.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:14:45 am »
Black locust has a furrowed bark similar to osage and not a smooth bark. The compound leaves look like black locust but the fruit doesn't. Locust is a legume and does have similar fruit but the seeds are more flat and smaller. Google black locust.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 12:17:22 pm »
Thanks, Pat.
Here is my site, Piotref1
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline piotref1

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 03:47:49 pm »
I thought that putting different leaves in pic and bark at once.. Will be good idea. For the bark of what I atm call black locust, the spalted one. And sanded the end to get look of rings.

And thanks for information and will try to get more info about the flatbow and such.  Will also try to find thicker branch and hope for some good wood. And usable in fairly sensible time.

Thanks for posting link to the site Mr, George! It's gonna be great read and help!

And about savinig shavings... Can always save them up as said for grilling or for other things like starting a forge and such! I'm a person that likes to learn new things.. so yeah blacksmithing too.. one day.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:54:45 pm by piotref1 »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 12:05:54 am »
I thought that putting different leaves in pic and bark at once.. Will be good idea. For the bark of what I atm call black locust, the spalted one. And sanded the end to get look of rings.

And thanks for information and will try to get more info about the flatbow and such.  Will also try to find thicker branch and hope for some good wood. And usable in fairly sensible time.

Thanks for posting link to the site Mr, George! It's gonna be great read and help!

And about savinig shavings... Can always save them up as said for grilling or for other things like starting a forge and such! I'm a person that likes to learn new things.. so yeah blacksmithing too.. one day.

Keep calling that one black locust. Ought to be a bow in there.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 03:55:32 am »
Black locust has thorns
even on the log in small saplings and always on newer branches when big
the sapling in the last picture could be BL.
i'd start to seal the ends with glue and let it dry
if you remove the bark now it's easy and lessen the chance of bugs but may speed up too much the drying process causing checks
You may want to put a thin layer of glue on all the log

Offline piotref1

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 06:44:06 am »
Yeap. It had some thorns on the bark. The BL spalted one was a branch that was probably dead for some time. Was hanging from tree and seems like spalting only goes to the darker wood. And as it was dead branch and lately there wasn't even ounce of rain It should be fine. 
But will remember for future branches that I get! And would a thick layer of paste wax work instead of glue?

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 07:29:56 am »
And would a thick layer of paste wax work instead of glue?

It probably will. I often use paraffin. It's only use is to reduce moisture exit from ends and promote a more uniform drying

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 09:02:29 am »
I'm gonna say ash for the top one.....

Offline piotref1

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 02:15:06 pm »
I took a long, long walk.. From what I saw and could identify:
-Norway Maple,
-Red Oak,
-White Oak,
-Rowan,
-Black Locust,
-Poplar,
-Birch,
-Black locust.

But the only problem would be that it's all nice and green trees. Getting into bow making probably will need to wait till it's seasoned. Will give a shot with what was ID as ash and tomorrow get more pictures of those trees for comparison.