Author Topic: Old Gregg, Fish skin backed Kanuka Molle, 43# at 31". RIP  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
Old Gregg, Fish skin backed Kanuka Molle, 43# at 31". RIP
« on: June 24, 2018, 02:52:28 pm »
I finally found the time to post these photos of my first attempt.
I was feeling pretty chuffed with how this came along, the fish skin stuck and looked good, she was bending nicely and when I took her out for a shoot it was flinging arras like I couldn't believe! such a satisfying feeling to really bring a piece of wood back to life in this way.
But at full draw on about my 10th arrow. . . Crack! Ahahahahaha big ole splinter lifted on the top limb.
Back to the drawing board.
20180623_103450 by Zachary Press, on Flickr
20180623_103146 by Zachary Press, on Flickr
20180623_103153 by Zachary Press, on Flickr
20180623_103512 by Zachary Press, on Flickr
20180623_103215 by Zachary Press, on Flickr
20180623_103207 by Zachary Press, on Flickr
20180623_103304 by Zachary Press, on Flickr
20180623_103233 by Zachary Press, on Flickr
20180623_103556 by Zachary Press, on Flickr
20180623_103821 by Zachary Press, on Flickr

20180615_174551 by Zachary Press, on Flickr

and the killing blow?
20180623_103850 by Zachary Press, on Flickr

please ignore my terrible form in the full draw pic, haha first time posing, it was awkward  (lol)
Nevertheless I loved the experience and feel like I have learnt a lot! good thing I have another stave ready to go, I will probably try a less stressed design next time around haha share the bending out over more of the limb.

p.s. Are there any realistic fixes for a big splinter like that? I have pva'd it back down in the hope that I will end up with a wall hanging at least. . .
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 03:10:42 pm by NZnuka »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Old Gregg, Fish skin backed Kanuka Molle, 43# at 31". RIP
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 03:19:52 pm »
Sorry for your loss, nuka. You could put glue in the splinter and wrap it but without seeing why it lifted a splinter it's hard to say if it will save the bow. Also, this is a good reason not to dress up a bow until you have at least 100 shots through her.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rākau

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 03:30:34 pm »
Sorry for your loss, nuka. You could put glue in the splinter and wrap it but without seeing why it lifted a splinter it's hard to say if it will save the bow. Also, this is a good reason not to dress up a bow until you have at least 100 shots through her.

Haha all things noted! especially about 100 shots before the dress-up party (lol) but this gives me an excuse to go and spear some more fish for skins  )F(
what would you recommend for the wrapping for the splinter? I assume you mean sinew, but are there other things that would work?

cheers,
Zach

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 03:35:34 pm »
Any stretchless cordage, FF string material, kevlar or other fishing line, silk thread are a few that comes to mind. Once it's well wrapped set it in glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 04:03:08 pm »
I'm sure you learned a lot with that one Nuka. Really looks like tiller was pretty good. I've never built that style bow but it looks to me like leavers where a bit long and bending area just a bit short. All in all a darn nice first attempt. I'm sure we'll be seeing more from you.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 05:10:42 pm »
Hate to be the downer in this post ….but the top limb in the full draw picture tells the story. The tiller is off, the top limb has a flat(stiff)spot right out of the fade for about 6 inches.  A Mollie design is very difficult design if you don't get the tiller perfect.  You have about half of the working limb as a "longbow"  to get the tiller perfect.
Your fit and finish is very nice though. take it from someone who has tried to patch broken bows in the past.....With you skills start another...:) ;)
DBar
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:18:19 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 06:15:51 pm »
I have to agree with dbar(he makes some killer mollies)! It's much more satisfying to have a non bandaid bow!great work,your on your way!bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Rākau

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 02:21:59 pm »
Any stretchless cordage, FF string material, kevlar or other fishing line, silk thread are a few that comes to mind. Once it's well wrapped set it in glue.

Thanks Pat, seeing as Dbar pointed out my tiller problem I Might just see if glue alone will get it to full brace and leave it there as a reminder. gotta find me some silk thread though, seems to be useful stuff.

I'm sure you learned a lot with that one Nuka. Really looks like tiller was pretty good. I've never built that style bow but it looks to me like leavers where a bit long and bending area just a bit short. All in all a darn nice first attempt. I'm sure we'll be seeing more from you.
Bjrogg

I'm inclined to agree with you there! especially looking at the full draw photo, it seems to emphasise how long the levers are, I suppose it speaks for the wood quality that i managed to even get it to 31".

Hate to be the downer in this post ….but the top limb in the full draw picture tells the story. The tiller is off, the top limb has a flat(stiff)spot right out of the fade for about 6 inches.  A Mollie design is very difficult design if you don't get the tiller perfect.  You have about half of the working limb as a "longbow"  to get the tiller perfect.

Hey thanks mate! not a downer at all, comments like yours are the reason I posted a broken bow hahaha. I'm actually pretty stoked about how it has all turned out, because even through my poor ability this stick managed to hold together all the way out to 31" and only took 2" of set. So given the small bending area and a flawed tiller i suppose it just highlights that Kanuka has a decent amount of potential as a bow wood. . .Which is awesome, because I have unlimited access to as much of it as I want! haha just harvested 10 staves off one tree this weekend!

I have to agree with dbar(he makes some killer mollies)! It's much more satisfying to have a non bandaid bow!great work,your on your way!bush!

Thanks Bush, mollies like the ones you and Dbar have made are what inspired me to try that design. I was enamored by the supposed efficiency of the design, Haha and no worries about a non bandaid bow, I tillered up a flatbow yesterday, I'll have to post it up to get you guys to check the tiller!  (--)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 02:31:48 pm »
Nuka you've got a great additude. You also did some nice work for a first bow. I agree with Dbar on his tiller assessment. Like I said the first time I'm sure we're going to see more from you. Looking forward to it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise