Author Topic: Mold  (Read 815 times)

Offline Jjpso

Mold
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:34:04 am »
Hello guys
Looking for some advise...
 I had around 30 ash and elm staves drying in my basement
They were cut last year, all were without bark, and were supported in the extremities.
I wanted to rearrange the space to gain some space for the staves I cuted this spring, so maybe 15 days ago I puted them facing a wall that faces the exterior soil.
I went on vacations, and returned yesterday, and today I went to look them and they were covered in mold! This never happened before, I just moved them 1 meter from where they were before! But the wall facing the soil has more moisture for sure!
I removed the mold and putted the staves in the exterior, under a balcony and don't know what to expect.
They look ok, and I will try to get them dryer before I take them inside again
What's your opinion? Do you think I can still use them? Or better to burn them?
Thanks in advance

Joao from Portugal!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Mold
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 05:51:36 am »
They'll be fine.  The only thing is the mold might stain them but caught early and treated its not a problem, surface mold is not like deep-seated rot.

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:44:10 am »
Thanks stuckinthemud! 
Do you think I should apply some product on the surface, or it will be ok just removig it like I did?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:55:17 am »
Jjpso, I have a moist basement too, and had a similar problem a few years ago. Since your staves have been curing for a year and as stickinthemud said, your mold is recent, the wood should be good. I would wipe the staves down with a bleach solution to kill the mold (3:1 would do).

You might want to invest in a dehumidifier, mold can be a dangerous house guest.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 06:57:28 am »
When I have had mold on bows (during a particularly wet winter) I coated them with a Danish oil and its never come back, I imagine any surface sealant will prevent mold but so will keeping it in a dry environment.  My workshop is not very dry but it is very draughty so a constant through-put of air is helpful.  If you're in Portugal I might be more worried about high temperatures causing surface checking so sealing the timber (watered down PVA) would be a really good idea anyway.  Personally I'd seal them and put them in the coolest storage I had available

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 07:30:13 am »
Mold thrives in moist conditions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simk

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:56:01 am »
had the same thing - just brushed the staves and stored them i a drier place now. the problem is caused in summer when warm air gets into your cool basement the air cools down and cant hold its moisture anymore (condensation). cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 04:58:31 am »
thanks everyone!
i feel more reasured now!

regards!!!