Author Topic: storage solutions  (Read 2606 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
storage solutions
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:59:29 am »
OK, so this might be a common problem, maybe not.  My workshop was a single garage (17x10), it is full of household over-spill that can't be disposed of (junk), a workbench, and stacks of timber for various purposes - one of billets/short bow staves (less than 65" long), one of long-bow staves (65 to 80") one of carving timber.  The roof is low and only 6-feet off the floor and the rafters are full of skirting boards and other construction timbers.  I have no outdoor storage available.  How do you guys store your timber - any clever solutions I might be able to steal?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:05:47 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline Hrothgar

Re: storage solutions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 06:58:43 am »
I have an Amish friend who cures his best lumber under his bed; guess this would be ok if everything is debarked and sealed.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 09:09:34 am »
I have a stave rack on wheels under my work bench.  Its anchored in one front corner so it pivots there.  I can roll it out and get to the staves.  It takes full advantage of the space under the bench that used to collect junk.  I can store around 75 staves there.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:47:05 am »
Pictures or it never happened Clint  ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 02:27:04 pm »
Pictures or it never happened Clint  ;)

Here you go AAAaaron.   It's an old picture.   It pivots back under the bench and out of the way.  You can see my arrow shaft storage rack peeking out from the left side of the bench.  I utilize 100% of the space under there. 

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 02:36:37 pm »
Clint you really make my shop look totally unorganized. Very nice. Hope you don't need that stave in the middle of the bottom row.lol. I'm sure you swap them out a couple times a year with all the staves you turn over.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 03:53:43 pm »
He sure showed you, AAAAAAron!  Well, actually, he showed all of us.

Clint, that's a brilliant solution. Solves the problem in a clever and simple manner.  I woulda come up with some Rube Goldberg mechanism that involved hooks, levers, pulleys, mirrors, smoke signals, scalded cats, a wireless router wired for 12 volt, and hubcaps from a DeSoto.  I like yours better.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 06:35:14 pm »
You can believe some of the things the Outlaw has dreamed up.  I've been in his shop many times and I hate to get it dusty....:)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 08:04:50 pm »
Love the humour gentlemen.

Impressively clean workshop OO. Reminds me that I need to do a very large clean up of my workshop.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 09:46:24 pm »
Osage at the osage mans' house!!!!!!!That's not counting the roughed out ones in the house too.Correct?Efficient way to store your staves there.My tractor shed is quite dusty but I don't mind.I keep around 50 staves or so on hand too up on the racks but from 7 or 8 different types of wood.Mostly just for myself/archery store/special requests and an occasional trade or two.More than enough for me.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:50:12 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 10:41:20 am »
Very nice Clint.  Thanks for reminding us how messy we are.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 11:01:04 am »
That's an old picture.  My workbench and shop are a mess right now.  In the summer I work in the garage where I get better airflow.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 09:31:25 pm »
I bet if he needs the bottom middle stave, he just puts in a quarter and it drops out the bottom like a gumball machine.  Seriously though, that's an awesome idea! 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 12:01:47 am »
A real nifty rack, OO!  I doubt I'll ever see that many staves, let alone in my garage/workshop!  Any of them left handed?  >:D :BB (SH) :NN!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 01:59:17 am »
Way cool idea Clint  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.