Author Topic: Local pics of wildlife  (Read 2056 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Local pics of wildlife
« on: June 25, 2018, 07:35:57 am »
We've got a new bull elk in the enclosure on the edge of town again.Apparently the old bull got out.They could'nt catch him.Just plain out shot him with a rifle I heard.Which strikes me a bit funny as there are many veterinarians here.You'd think they'd have some sort of tranquilizer type darts.

Picture Robin took of the local garbage collector around here.Ai'nt he pretty????
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Local pics of wildlife
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:44:10 pm »
Nice pictures Ed. Have you ever seen one of those tranquilizer dart guns shoot? Used one once and I'd have much better range with my selfbow. At least the one we borrowed from the vet shoot the darts in a big corkscrew. Maybe they make better spined darts than we had.lol.

The buzzard reminds me of a poster I once had. Two buzzards sitting on a cactus overlooking a bleached out buffalo skull. The caption said "Patience my a$$, I'm gonna kill something". They sure clean up a lot of carcasses.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 03:49:02 pm »
Wow!  Wouldya take a look at that magnificent creature?  I just can't tear my eyes off it.  Simply makes my heart sing to see one of them, just plain magnificent.

Nice elk, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:26:53 pm »
A couple pair of those turkey vultures were nesting in the neighbors old corn crib this spring.
I've never seen used or used a Tranq gun and darts before.I imagine the more money spent the better the gun and performance.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 07:12:39 pm »
I imagine your right about the money spent part Ed. We got some really wild heifers once. Three got out and we couldn't get them back. Borrowed darts and gun from the vet. Ended up horses worked a lot better.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 04:04:49 pm »
Cool photos.What time of year did the older elk meet his fate?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 06:02:56 pm »
The old bull got out in the spring of 2017.A mushroom hunter cut the fence while looking for mushrooms.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 07:14:28 pm »
Guess he figured they built the fence just to inconvenience him. Probably the only way he could get his ATV the hundred yards to the mushrooms.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 08:44:24 pm »
Here's a pic of the older bull that got shot.I'm sure the meat was donated to those who could use it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:57:22 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 08:22:25 pm »
Those are some beautiful pictures Ed. I love mushrooms, but that guy just went too far.  ::)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 08:28:36 am »
I really don't know all the circumstances about it all.I just read the info from the local paper police report.I like mushrooms too.No offense meant against mushroom hunters.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 10:07:29 am »
Thank God for buzzards, the road sides would stink something fierce without them beauty's cleaning them up.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.