Author Topic: Gone awhile  (Read 1533 times)

Offline seider

Gone awhile
« on: June 25, 2018, 03:53:18 pm »
I have been out of the knapping for awhile and thinking about getting back into it.  I know my oldest boy loves to break rocks with me and i kinda miss doing it.  Now the question is do i want to abo or go back to traditional as i have sold off all the stuff i had for making gravel.  Time to decide if want back in or not.  I think what got me wanting to start again is i was out plowing a field and kept seeing all this chert turn up and i was thinking i need to walk this field when it cools off and see what i can find.  Well that got me to thinking maybe i should just start making my own again for fun.  I was going back and forth trying to decide if i wanted to or not and when i got to the gate leading out of the field i had just plowed i picked up probably one of the best points i have ever found.  I gave it my 4 year old and do not have a pic of it on my new phone but i think that might have been a sign that i need to give it a whirl again.  Been out probably 3 or 4 years.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline UtahChippewa

Re: Gone awhile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 06:18:09 pm »
Ya better get after it! It’s definitely a sign! My oldest son loves breaking rock too,... to the point he can out Knapp me by a country mile.  :-K
Knapping...
If you’re breakin’ You’re makin’
If you’re bleedin’  You’re succeedin’

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:55:07 pm »
As Jeff Foxworthy says, here's your sign. Sure wish the rocks I plowed up where chert. I'd definitely be giving it a try again if I had free chert. As for what tools to use, I'd say that's totally up to you. I don't see anything wrong with either. Can always pick up a stone and give it a try.
Pretty cool you found a point.
Good Luck
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline seider

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 07:31:16 am »
i think it was a here's your sign moment for sure.  That was about a month ago and it has had me thinking every day.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 07:49:26 am »
Look forward to seeing your work seider. I know there's lots of nice chert in Texas. I'm know expert on it but some works nice raw and some better cooked. Different charts get different heat. Might help you out if you post some of your chert and ask for some recipes.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline seider

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 01:04:33 pm »
i do have some around me and last time i did this i never got into ht any.  This go around i just might have to.