Author Topic: Bamboo is chipped  (Read 942 times)

cool_98_555

Bamboo is chipped
« on: July 01, 2018, 01:08:41 pm »
Hi guys,

The picture below shows the bamboo backing of a bow that I have shot many, many times.  A couple splinters lifted in a spot, and when I removed them, it created a chunk out of the bamboo.  Is this able to be saved? Maybe filled with superglue?  Or do I need to somehow remove the bamboo and install a new one?  This was one of my favorites, so I'd like to save it any way I can.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo is chipped
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 01:17:10 pm »
Unfortunately, probably not. The strongest power fibers are on the outside of the boo.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 01:18:34 pm »
I would want to ask myself why it chose to splinter there? If you were to replace the boo would it just do the same thing?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:04:43 am »
I would give it a bow string material wrap and saturate it in super glue.maybe fill in the void with expoxy first leaving it proud.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:58:22 am »
What glue did you use. With some glues you can heat it and the glue will soften and/or release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:09:01 am »
Another option would be to plane the back down quite a lot and put a new backing on. Of course, ypud need to retiller it.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 03:49:16 pm »
My suggestion would be to remove it and glue on another backing.  I recently removed a bamboo backing from one that lifted a splinter near an edge that got too thin.  It took maybe an hour to completely remove.  I tried a few different tools and the spoke shave worked the best.