Author Topic: throwing/camp hawk  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Zuma

Re: throwing/camp hawk
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 10:08:09 am »
That is sweet Pat. God on both of you.  )W( :BB (f)
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 07:16:16 pm »
That's a beauty Pat. Nice sheath & strap also.

Offline Comalforge

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 07:41:18 pm »
Beautiful work - I've made a bunch of them over the years.  I think they work best in two weights - a little heavier with a flat spot on the back for general camp work...and a lighter version that would work best in hand-to-hand conflict (if someone happened to need it for that purpose).  I also make a  smaller version of a felling ax that's way bigger than a 'hawk but much handier than a full-size ax.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 11:41:08 pm »
I missed a chance  to grab a real neat "fighting butterfly axe" about 1/2 size of a 36" big boy butterfly, at a real good price!  Been sort of kicking myself ever since.  Would have been a dandy throwing axe!
Next one I find is coming home with me. )W(!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 05:31:31 pm »
Just beautiful!  Never seen the finger grooves carved in before.  Everything stands out.
1’—>1’

Offline BrianS

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 06:07:56 pm »
Nice!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 09:09:21 pm »
Thanks Steve and Brian. I've been wanting to try the brass starburst for years. A friend back in the 1970s built a flintlock and did a big starburst on the stock. He used the same brass clinch nails as I did. Left over from when I was a cobbler.
 The finger grooves were a second thought. Initially it was going to be 4 near the end to aid the grip but I decided all along the handle would not only look cool but also give a good grip along the handle which can be handy for a camp ax.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 05:03:01 pm »
Hey pat sorry I haven’t responded to your email yet just been busy, but I’m glad you posted the spruced up hawk here ;D

The dark stain and the starburst really improved the plain handle I put on it :D (and the dark color won’t show dirt like the bare maple would >:D)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 08:47:41 pm »
Thanks Dylan. I know you are a busy boy. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 07:39:00 pm »
Nice work at the forge Dy-Lan. Same to you Pat. That is a sweet tool to use and especially show off.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 06:41:20 pm »
Hey Pat,

That is pretty cool!  Love the starburst design.  And the leather work is supremo (as always!).  Where did you get the tacks and about how far do they sink into the wood?  I a thinking that might be a pretty cool idea to do on a flute.  Trade infringement?

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2018, 07:37:03 pm »
Rand, these were left over from the leather shop I was part owner of in Savannah back in the mid 1970's. They are about 1/2" long or slightly longer. I have a pound box of them(about 10,000) so if you need some I'll send you some. They are solid brass clinch nails for making sandles and you could cut them off to size.