Author Topic: A big thanks to Willis Carrier  (Read 1387 times)

Offline osage outlaw

A big thanks to Willis Carrier
« on: July 04, 2018, 07:12:30 pm »
I would like to give a big thanks to Willis Carrier, the inventor of air conditioning  ;D   I put a small window AC unit in my workshop and it made such a huge improvement it made me feel pretty dumb for not doing that years ago.  Normally I work in the garage during the summer with 2 fans going.  Recently I had some artwork installed on my arm and the current heat wave irritated it to the point I couldn't stand to be outside for more than a few minutes.  Yesterday I put the AC in the window and cleaned up my workshop to give me room to work.  As an added bonus while cleaning I found 2 calf hides that I forgot I had.   Today I ripped sapwood all day and didn't even break a sweat.  It was nice to quit for the day and not feel like I just stepped out of a pool.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: A big thanks to Willis Carrier
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 09:42:05 pm »
...and it will keep the humidity lower in your shop, Clint.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 11:04:35 pm »
As much as I like being outdoors, the a/c is a great invention!  Raise a glass to old Willis!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 07:03:51 am »
For the first 5 years of my bow making journey I made bows in a 5X7 offset in the garage by the water heater and out under a maple tree in the front yard. I probably made 50 bows in that hot, dusty corner.

When I moved to the country and could build a propper shop, the A/C and heater was designed into the shop plans. My A/C unit has heat strips built in as well so it is dual purpose. What a luxury!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 07:56:00 am »
Im fortunate to have a nice sized basement shop with 9' ceilings. Always in the 65-68 degree range, but the RH changes are drastic. I have no power tools in there. But, its always comfy to work in. I love that part.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 08:02:32 am »
My basement is similar to yours Pearlie. We don't have ac in our house either.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:50:12 am »
After I moved to the country and before I built a shop I worked in the basement of my new house. It didn't take long for my wife to get fed up with all the osage dust and shavings that found their way upstairs and into the house. She was all in when I suggested building a shop, YES!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 11:59:20 am »
I have a friend that got a three of those heater/ac combos that you find in motel rooms. I’m supposed to go get one from him and it’s going in a section of my shop that I have walled off and insulated. Been putting it off, cause I don’t want to frame it in and run conduit and the 220 for it across my shop but this motivates me.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 12:54:05 pm »
Summer time and the garage is breezy!, with both doors open, and some days with the fan going.  In cold weather I fire up big buddy propane heater to keep the chill  manageable.  The electric heaters cost too much, and I don't have insulation on the garage door.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry