Author Topic: homemade seasoning salts  (Read 4204 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
homemade seasoning salts
« on: July 06, 2018, 07:33:35 am »
So I've made a couple different flavored seasoned salts lately. Wondering if anyone else does this.

I had a small amount of dried moral mushrooms leftover. They were just too small to bother frying, so I blended them up into some smoked sea salt. Tastes yummy on top of a steak that's for sure, and yes I said SMOKED sea salt. smoked it while smoking some pork chops last weekend.

I also dried out some fresh herbs from the garden. Basil, oregano, parsley, and rosemary, blended with the smoked sea salt is yummy also!

Up next I have to dry some garlic scapes, and lemon zest. I'm thinking lemon, pepper, and garlic sea salt.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: homemade seasoning salts
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:18:32 am »
A garlic scape, tarragon, thyme, and smoked sea salt might be interesting, too!  The tarragon is doing well again this year, and we will have a surplus.  Most everything else is just getting started!  Got the green beans and Anasazi beans in yesterday for fall crop.  Our gardening season starts late!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline AndrewS

Re: homemade seasoning salts
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 03:51:47 am »
Wild garlic leaves (allium ursinum)  are fine in sea salt. Make a puree from the fresh leaves then mix it with the salt and then dry it (baking plate in the oven or in the sun).

Also hot red pepper makes fine salt -  it is good when you say "Ooooh that isn't so salty"  >:D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:40:08 am by AndrewS »