Author Topic: LEDs  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

LEDs
« on: July 06, 2018, 04:01:51 pm »
I started changing the fluorescent tubes in my shop light fixtures to LEDs today. I went with direct wired with one power ended tubes and eliminated the ballasts. I have two 4 tube and two two tube 4' fixtures, I was able to change them all over for $120.

One of these LED fixtures is as bright as two of the old fluorescent fixtures.

Offline sleek

Re: LEDs
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 06:41:58 pm »
LED is where its at. I see major manufacturing companies switching as well, such as Boeing.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 07:02:06 pm »
I switched mine over last month.  It makes a big difference.   I went with 4' 5000 lumen shop lights from Walmart.  They were only $22 each.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 07:22:35 pm »
Won't be long and I'll be switching over.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 07:28:47 pm »
I finished up just now, real easy after I did the first one. I pulled 6 ballasts 5 were leaking and going bad.

It cost me $120 to rewire the fixtures and replace the bulbs, it would have cost me $118 to replace 5 ballasts and it looked like some of the fluorescent tubes were on their last leg.

I have a bunch of fluorescent fixtures in the house, the ballasts are 16 years old, when they go out I am swapping them all over to LED.

There are few shadows in my shop now.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:58:16 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 07:39:25 am »
Any noise is gone as well, I liked that part to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 10:11:15 am »
Our local archery club replaced all of the old fluorescent fixtures in our indoor archery range with LED fixtures.  Same number of fixtures and the lighting transformation has been incredible.  We can actually see all of the 3D targets.  Being the treasurer of the organization, I have seen about a 1/3 decrease in electrical use in the past year.  Another advantage to the switch.  We bought the complete fixtures with bulbs from "Sammy's World" for a very good price.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 05:26:29 pm »
I switched mine out last year. I was amazed at the vast improvement and really helps out these old eyes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 06:02:34 am »
Yep we changed all of the ones at Twinoaks this winter, better light and much cheaper to use. :) Everything new we build gets LED's.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 11:10:04 am »
I got a three car garage and bought then from BJ's about $33 each and they are just open cowed shop lights with LED strips. I put one lengthwise in the back of each bay and one sideways lowered to be even with the garage door when up. It can shine under the door if open. My truck is in the second bay and makes the front light about useless if they truck is in the bay.  Man what a change butchering deer in there this year!!

Also, pay attention the Kelvin temp for the lights. Mike are 4K and I's like 5k in the garage, its vry white light. 5k is daylight. My wife likes 2700k as it looks like tungsten light bulb light.  ::)
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."