Author Topic: Grooving shafts  (Read 2237 times)

Offline DuBois

Grooving shafts
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:11:51 pm »
Do you find any real advantage in grooving arrow shafts vs. the work it takes? Doesn't it cause some weak spots?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Grooving shafts
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 07:57:37 am »
I've grooved shoot arrows on a few occasions and didn't see any advantage. Maybe with some shoots that won't remain straight it would help. I've never noticed it causing weak spots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:26:00 am »
Never tried it. Might have to experiment with some for the jug shoot.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 07:40:59 am »
I have never experimented with it, because I didn't need too with the hardwoods i use. The theory has been that the plains Indians only have Willow and other soft woods to use for arrows. They grooved the arrows and when heading over the fire and straightening it kind of heat set, tempered, or something the wood helping it stay straight. That is what has been theorized. I have thought about trying it on the hazel arrows I have left, but I never make a grooving tool. They get bent in humid weather and need hand straightening after ever shot, but do better in the winter when its dry.

That said, when I went to the Smithsonian and looked at arrows I didn't see any with grooves from the plains, so I am not sure many did it. Most were 21" to 23" and 9/32" to 7/16" clean and very even except for the bulb nocks. I lost all my pictures and notes in a lightning strike with fried my server and destroyed all hard drives.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:44:35 am by archeryrob »
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 02:39:07 pm »
Ok, thanks folks