Author Topic: belt sanders  (Read 5082 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

belt sanders
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:13:10 am »
Hi ya'll,

Here's what I'm wondering...
-what size is sufficient for what we do? (benchtop, how wide/long)
-what are some good companies?
-new or used?
-lowest ball park price for something that'll do the job? (thinning backings, small angled joints, minor shaping, ect.)
-worth getting a combo belt/disc?

Thanks in advance!  :D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bushboy

Re: belt sanders
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 08:36:34 am »
Love this thing,especially the disc,ran me about 130 here in Canada.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:45:17 am »
Mine is a 4"x36" from Canadian Tire. It's one of the things they put on half price every so often. I got it for $100. It works well. I've had it for a year. You would probably get the equivalent at Harbour Freight. Not real quality stuff but it does the job.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:04:44 am »
Same machine DC,lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:35:03 am »
4 x 36. I have two old Craftsman models. Dust control is key, they are a complete mess to use.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 09:42:43 am »
I have a 6x48 Grizzly that works great. I don't remember what it cost but you can Google it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 09:46:44 am »
I got a cheapo one and had to replace the bearings with decent sealed ones eventually. Finding the right grit belt is half the battle.
I had to build some decent dust extraction round it.
A lot of cheapo tools are ok if you don't mind tuning 'em up for our particular obsession :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 10:24:53 am »
I have this Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander its very adaptable it can be used ether for spindle sanding or belt sanding great for bamboo prep, side tillering , limb shaping Etc, I have a dedicacted spindle sander and only use the belt sanding part of it but with the oscillating feature it removes wood and other material quick & controllably, it saves me a lot of time and ware on band saw blades, the vertical belt I thought would be harder to use for flattening but it actually works better and belts last a long time caught mine on sale for $199 it was worth it also use it for scarf jointing with a jig to.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:35:52 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 10:54:15 am »
I have a 6" x 48" belt with a 9" disk.   It's an old cast iron Craftsman made by King Seeley.   I absolutely love it,  only gave $100 for it, but I had to build a cabinet and get a motor for it.   Well worth the investment

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 12:01:25 pm »
I got a 6×48 at Harbor Freight years ago. Tillered literally hundreds of bows on it. Still going strong. Best $200 I ever spent.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 12:04:02 pm »
I have a 6 x 48 which is belt driven. In other words the motor is separate, which is good, in case it as to be replaced.
I inherited mine from my dad.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 01:00:00 pm »
This sander is on my dream list if I had room I would own it but don't it is perfect for bow making of any kind  I may make room for it over the winter a lot of bowyers swear by it !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 01:28:44 pm »
Wouldn't a horizontal bed be better for our purposes? Seems to me that it would be easier to hold a bow steadier if it was flat.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 01:33:14 pm »
I'd love to have that sander myself SB. Worthless for most self bows, but priceless for any and all glue bows, wood or f-glass.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 01:46:38 pm »
Belt sanders are fab, but I MUCH prefer my power file, especially for what we do