Author Topic: belt sanders  (Read 5254 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: belt sanders
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 02:53:41 pm »
The vertical band sander works well for flatting lams or bamboo but pearly is right it really shines with lam bows of any type and especially cleaning up limb edges , vertical or flat it still depends on even presure on the peace being sanded gravity doesent keep it flat it's up to the operator to keep the peace parallel regardless of band position  , I like the vertical sander as you can use the ends same as a spindle sander for shaping handles or over lays instead of going to the spindle sander or shaping front view profiles accurately  , the vertical sander is just more versatile for me ,but I have spent a lot of time using it ,I had the wen flat one before switching !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 02:55:37 pm »
I've got a grizzly 6x48 sander.  I mostly use it for tip overlays.  In my early bow making days I used a 4x36 belt sander for tillering.  I like tillering with hand tools better.  It's easy to get a thin spot with the belt sander.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 02:59:12 pm »
My first was a 4X36 delta el-cheapo, with a 36 grit belt it did everything I needed it to do. It was stolen by a painter I fired, never could get the cops interested  in going after him.

I bought a 6X48 Griz, it is the most used power tool in my shop. I have had to do a bunch of repairs on it in the last 15 years, bearings, motor and the start stop switch twice. I run it any time I am working on bows.

A $59 4X36 from Harbor Freight will do what you need if you have the right belt on it.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 03:13:42 pm »
Holy snikees. Thanks for all the replies guys. I love you all!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bushboy

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 03:44:52 pm »
Agreed,I use it for tips and front profiling,but I go to my trusty Shinto for tillering.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 03:49:33 pm »
X 2 on the Ridgid oscillating sander. I would much rather prefer a bigger belt sander but this gets the trick done. I've been abusing mine for 3 years and still no problems. I'm not a fan of Ridgid Power Tools anymore I think they're all junk but this one seems pretty good. Plus I prefer a vertical belt. It's much easier to square stuff up on.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 09:22:19 pm »
I'm in the 4x36 crowd. I'm on my 3rd-4th one . $150 a piece. 225 bows . About  ready to look for better quality. I do like the size though. Rough out close then rasp-planer blade for tiller. Arvin
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:28:48 pm by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 09:36:31 pm »
Stickbender I have used that sander before . They are good but I like the shorter one better. Maybe just have not gotten use to it though. Every tool has its strengths and weaknesses. Arvin

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 10:01:38 pm »
When those sanders get big enough nick names are used like big bertha etc.They are nice!!!I just use a bench type 18" belt sander with a disk option on it too.It's helped me out quickly in many situations that's for sure.I have an oscillating sander also.Use them off and on many times.Got them both from Grizzly.For planing and tapering bamboo and wood backings I have a De Walt hand power planer and a wooden block with sand paper.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:42:28 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 03:14:36 am »
I think over winter Im going to sell off my lathe that I dont use much any more and get that beast 😃

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 12:52:21 am »
I've got the harbor freight 6"x48" belt/9" disk sander, it has a full 1hp motor. With coupon I think I paid $180 or so. I've had it a year, very happy with it.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 05:20:13 am »
Another reason I like the rigid sander is you can put a fence on it and make a make shift thickness sander or I have a sled for belly tapering cores for bamboo backed lam bows where you can do full length core lams that I can't do on the drum sander, plus the table is adjustable for angle or squaring to 90 Deg. With a little creativity you can do a lot with it !  I don't tiller self bows with a sander & use mine mostly for backed bows.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 07:41:58 am »
For my first 10-15 bows I clamped a hand held belt sander upside down in a vice. Worked ok with 60-80 grit. That's all I had at the time. Arvin

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 07:38:54 pm »
I have not had much luck with belt sanders making bows. It is so easy to overshoot your target and get too thin where you don't want to be thin and screw up your tiller. Maybe it is a lack of skill on my end,  but I much prefer my hoof rasp over any other type of power tool.

I guess the horse background for me comes in handy   :D

Phil

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 08:47:33 am »
I only use my belt sander for very basic initial shaping, everything else is with hand tools. It is great for prepping wood and bamboo for glue-ups, adjusting splice fit and leveling pieces for glue on handles and overlays.