Author Topic: Ready for a Parade  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Stoker

Re: Ready for a Parade
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 03:29:19 pm »
Very cool, you brought the ole girl back to it's glory. A lot of work but worth it.  :OK
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 08:33:42 pm »
That's a pretty nice keep sake BJ.I'm sure it brings back good memories.1937 is an oldie.Not insinuating that it's for sale as it's a keep sake but I just saw an auction of old tractors on TV.The RFD station.Some went for 30,000 dollars.Funny but the half scale sized tractors went for the most.
I still have my fathers tractor.Restored it some internally.A 1966 wide front end 1850 oliver diesel.A whopping 100 horse power.I put a loader[7' wide bucket] on it and use it as an acerage tractor moving snow and hauling firewood as it's main functions nowadays.It used to be the main working tractor on the farm for every thing doing all the field work back then as I'm sure your John Deere was too back in the day.I used an M & an H Farmall also a lot back then.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:27:11 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 12:10:20 am »
If I remember correctly, you could count the strokes those old 2 bangers made, at least at idle speed!  A very distinctive sound.  My cousin collected several and restored  vintage tractors, including the John Deeres.  I think he still has them, and he's about 84 or 85!  Neat job on the old girl!
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 05:10:27 am »
Ya I hear ya BJ, I have a 1968 30/20 that we bought new and also a 65 140 IH, they are simple to work on and just keep on running. I have a newer 2013 50/75 and although I like it a lot , I still like the older one much better. The 20/30 is in really good shape and has been taken care of and under roof all it's life. I have folks want to buy it all the time. I just tell them it ant for sale. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Badger

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 05:55:25 am »
My inlaws have had an old tractor just sitting since before I joined the family in 1970, I would love to over haul that thing if it hasn't rusted out too bad. It has looked like a brush pile for the past 40 something years as they just cut around it.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 11:26:38 am »
Zuma, I certainly liked the tractors. Really don't remember the vacuum cleaner much.

Ed, I have no idea what it's worth dollars wise. I heard a few of the collectors around here saying that the old tractors really went down. The men that used them are thinning in numbers. Many of the next generation have no interest. I heard the 10 and 20 series are drawing more attention. Still more of those fellas around and those tractors can still be very handy, especially if you have a loader for them.

Jerry, yes very distinctive sound all it's own.

Pappy, the first tractor I ever bought was a used 1968 John Deere 4020 with a year round cab. The cab got taken off right away. Those things were torture to be in. My brother and I bought it together in 1984 and paid the fella we got it from more than he paid for it brand new. Pretty sure it's worth more than we paid for it now but a dollar isn't worth near what it was then.

Badger, do you know what model it is?  John Deere is still pretty good for getting parts. Might or might not be worth fixing. Maybe you can at least get it parked in a good hunting spot. Use it for a brush blind.
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 06:28:44 pm »
That's awesome Brian. We had a Deer growing up. My dad said he'd never buy anything else. Happy B-day to Grandpa!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 03:32:55 am »
Bj I know nothing about tractors but this one is a joy for the eyes
it's even better knowing it makes your father/family so happy  :OK

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 06:02:08 am »
We had a 40/20 also BJ, it was a hose in it's day. Wished I had one now. :) I still see them in sales Magazines but man they are high. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 07:46:40 pm »
Looks good BJ. We have a JD 630 that was my grandfathers first tractor I racked a lot of hay & cleaned a lot of barns with that tractor.