Author Topic: Mojam then and now  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Mojam then and now
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 06:25:11 am »
   I think the biggest reason is underestimation in the first place. Then we have all the same things you mentioned giving some slight improvements. More people who know what they are doing will give much higher results. I think this is the case now, just a lot more qualified folks. .

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 06:39:52 am »
Lonbow for me. When I started 2004 I built the slowest shockiest bow of the day. I was trying to hit 150 yds. With a 50# bow. Now I hit 200 yds on occasion. Just what you said. Chasing mass off the outer limbs , trashing B50 for D97, straightening, and heat temper. But I am glad I improved my bows. Arvin

Oh and forums like this . Sharing info. Arvin
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:52:42 am by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 06:45:15 am »
   I was looking at some published literature from about 20 years ago on how much yardage you could expect from a self bow. It said a straight bow with 1" of set should hit about 150 yards, with a little reflex 160 yards and a recurve not more than 170 yards shooting 10 grains per pound. I am curious how this will compare to the yardages you guys achieve. It should be interesting.

I think the main difference will come from shooting style.  I'm pretty sure that they were not using a flight shooting release back then
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 06:58:26 am »
   I was looking at some published literature from about 20 years ago on how much yardage you could expect from a self bow. It said a straight bow with 1" of set should hit about 150 yards, with a little reflex 160 yards and a recurve not more than 170 yards shooting 10 grains per pound. I am curious how this will compare to the yardages you guys achieve. It should be interesting.

I think the main difference will come from shooting style.  I'm pretty sure that they were not using a flight shooting release back then
[/quote

Marc please explain more detail. In primitive today do we not use fingers, tap, glove?
Arvin

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 07:34:24 am »
     Good point Mark, one year at Bonneville a first time shooter showed up and beat me by a few feet for a new broadhead record. He actually copied my shooting style. The guy that built his bow told him to copy me. He practiced the release for a couple of days and it made a big difference. I think it might be a good idea at this flight shoot to demonstrate the simple method for anyone interested. It just amounts to pulling through your release. You can loose 20 or more yards with a static release.

My biggest curiosity would be how much difference does it make shooting at sea level as opposed to the 4,000 ft we shoot at Bonneville Salt Flats. I have head people say about 10% but my experience tells me almost no difference. 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:38:59 am by Badger »

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 08:18:16 am »
I did not see a difference because of elevation. I am curious about that release though. Do you short draw often Steve. Arvin

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 10:23:30 am »
Arvin, I release the second my broadhead makes contact with the bow and my hand never stops pulling back. I get off the string quickly.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 10:30:04 am »
I can see me pulling the string out of the arrow with my lack of coordination :-[ :-[

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 11:15:52 am »
Me to D.C.! Have to practice on old bow that you don't mind dry firing. Arvin

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 11:21:29 am »
  The motion itself is not a fast motion, you can be slow and deliberate as long as you pull your hand off the string instead of just opening up your fingers and letting it slide off.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 12:26:32 pm »
     My biggest curiosity would be how much difference does it make shooting at sea level as opposed to the 4,000 ft we shoot at Bonneville Salt Flats. I have head people say about 10% but my experience tells me almost no difference.

Don't know about the effects of elevation but I'd wonder about the effect of the difference in humidity..?

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 01:15:50 pm »

Don't know about the effects of elevation but I'd wonder about the effect of the difference in humidity..?

From what i understand arrows carry better in moist air, not sure why, it would seem the opposite.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 06:17:05 pm »

From what i understand arrows carry better in moist air, not sure why, it would seem the opposite.

Huh, I did not know that. Then you guys will do fine down there by the tracks.

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 07:44:42 pm »
   We are still not sure what to base the award certificates on. 170 yards is a good shot for a self bow. 200 yards is world class, most of the shots at the salt flats are well under 200 yards that I have seen. I am thinking straight self bows 170 yards+ recurve self bows 180+  and composite bows 180 for straight and 190 for some curves. The committee will discuss this after a couple of days of shooting.. Never been done before so we are kind of shooting from the hip here.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 06:09:07 pm »
Related but unrelated. Does the park have any RV dump - fill stations? If I'm there for a week I might need to dump fill once. You know how those Texans have plenty to process! :-)   Arvin