Author Topic: reflex while applying sinew  (Read 823 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
reflex while applying sinew
« on: July 11, 2018, 05:57:13 am »
Morning!
I have to sinew a yew lath that is very stiff and I cannot reflex it.  There is virtually no heartwood and the little that is there is very pale so I am not too worried about heartwood/sapwood separation - should I be??  Anyway, how important is it to reflex the stave while the sinew is drying?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: reflex while applying sinew
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 06:32:38 am »
Adding reflex while sinewing adds more tension to the sinew which imparts more energy storage. t's not necessary to do it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

Re: reflex while applying sinew
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 07:57:37 am »
Reverse stringing really helps with early draw tension but in the bow in the pic I tillered out to 24'' before reverse stringing 6'' of reflex prior to sinew and the limbs where still not thin enough to take that much reflex ended up getting belly tension cracks as the sinew dried also have found it easier to reverse string by adding minor heat to the bow while reverse stringing on the tree then adding a brace string to hold it ,I think that bow was pulling 35lb @ 24 in. before sinew ,if I had to do it again I would take it down to 25 lb.  if the slat is non tillered I would add minimal reflex if it where me the sinew will pull some as it dries usually !
If you fear failure you will never Try !