Author Topic: How long?  (Read 857 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
How long?
« on: July 12, 2018, 09:49:40 am »
Feeling slightly depressed, I've just finished un-bundling half a dozen sinews, taking them down fine, washed and finally ready for glueing - major milestone in my bow-building career, BUT, boy its taken a LONG time, like an hour to un-pick each sinew (6 hours) then another two to go through the bundles, sorting into length and another couple to scrape off the last bits of gunk and sort out the rubbish - so I reckon its taken north of 10 hours to prep 3 oz.  Hoping the next few ounces go a bit quicker!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How long?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 10:02:04 am »
The more you do the quicker you'll get. I try not to consider time. If it all works out it is worth every minute, for me at least.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 10:06:54 am »
  Did you pound the sinew before stripping it? I find when I strip mine down it comes out pretty clean without washing. I work mine dry. I think it would be a good deal to develop a hammer just for pounding sinew. I use a metal hammer.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 10:45:50 am »
I soaked the leg sinew and pulled it apart with two pliers, no pounding. Most of it pulled apart fairly easily although it could be a bit of a wrestle, especially around the knot at the 'y' but some of the sinews had bits of the sheath stuck on them needing scraping down with my thumb nails.  Some were greasy but that will come off when I wash the sinew bundles and apply the glue - I ran a test .  The silver-skin was only dried for about a week before I stripped it and that was like a dream, just pulled apart with my finger nails.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 10:49:20 am »
Be careful using pliers, they can damage / sever the fibers,  losing considerable strength

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 10:53:23 am »
True dat.  Found out the hard way  >:D

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 11:00:17 am »
That time frame seemed about right to me. It's a tedious process. I have found myself not getting any better or faster at it.
Eric