Author Topic: Takedown sleeve noise  (Read 2682 times)

Offline PaSteve

Takedown sleeve noise
« on: July 10, 2018, 07:42:15 am »
I am building my first takedown from billets I received from Arvin. Thanks again Arvin. I used TBB 3 as my reference. Both limbs have the brass fittings and the top limb pulls out of handle. I waxed the brass & it disassembles cleanly but has a snug fit. This is my first takedown and my first recurve. The bow turned out to be a very good shooter but it's loud. Too loud to hunt with which has me a little disappointed as I make bows to hunt with. It appears the noise is coming from the sleeve assembly. The fit is very snug...without wax is hard to pull apart. Any suggestions? Anybody else encounter this problem? I'm thinking about just glueing the brass sleeve into the handle to make a 1pc bow if that'll quiet it down. Does anyone think that'll solve my problem? I've shot the bow braced from 5-6.25 with no difference in noise. Thanks for any advice.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Takedown sleeve noise
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 08:10:21 am »
Steve, be sure the two inner brass sleeves are not contacting end to end inside when assembled. If need be, file/sand them a bit shorter so they don't hit each other. That's where most noise will come from if the fit itself is snug. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:20:01 am »
If you really like the bow epoxy them together. That length will nearly fit in a duffle bag. How long did it turn out? Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 01:43:39 pm »
PD I sanded about 1/16 off the inner limb and it didn't seem to help. Tried a thin piece of cork between limbs and that didn't seem to help either. Arvin, the bow is 58 1/2" ntn and shoots great. I really like the bows performance. I've only made a few selfbows and this is definitely my fastest so I think I'm going to finish it up and epoxy it together. I assume I would use the MT-13 epoxy that I used for the sleeves? I want to hunt with it in a few months if I can quiet it down. It came out 53#@26".
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 04:20:43 pm »
Can you tighten it up somehow or maybe use hide glue or something removable. You'd hate to epoxy it and still have noise.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 04:58:03 pm »
Something is going on that can be fixed. Last resort for me would be making it a one piece metal gripped bow. When its slid together tightly, can you wiggle it at all? How about half way inserted? Somewhere along the length the fit must be loose.  If you find a loose area you can gently peen it a few times. It will bulge up just a bit. Sand it down a fuzz if its too tight. One other thing, are both limbs rock solid secure in their respective sleeves?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 08:27:33 pm »
DC.. If I do decide to glue it a trial run with hide glue would be a good option just in case it doesn't solve the issue. PD both limbs are secure in each brass fitting. There is a little play when top limb inserted half way in the sleeve but once fully in it is secure. I'm going to finish the bow as a takedown and try to figure out what my next step will be.  Thanks for the replies.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 06:13:28 am »
It needs to have a good fit start to finish, almost vacuum like. That loose section half way down is where your noise is coming from.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 08:29:14 am »
You might know this but....A little trick kinda I was shown on take downs I've made when pulling them apart after a good fit was to pull it apart behind me.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 09:23:48 am »
Can't believe nobody's asked WHAT KIND OF NOISE your bow is making. That makes a world of difference. Is it squeaking? Grating? Knocking? Clicking? Or??

Just shooting in the dark if we don't know what kind of noise.

Even if metal is moving on metal, there are only a few kinds of noises it can make.

Pertinent information please.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 09:33:25 am »
I'd try to wrap that first half of the insert with very thin plastic film and see if the noise is still there
no gluing and you can see if a little bit of thickness would resolve the issue

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 10:13:12 am »
WHAT KIND OF NOISE!!!!!!!?????
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 10:38:37 am »
Pics of the noise! Seriously let's see pics of the Sleeves  and bow. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 02:31:42 pm »
I guess I would describe the noise as a knock. Upon release of the string. At first I thought it may be an overspined arrow slapping against the bow but after trying multiple spines the noise didn't go away. I'm going to wrap brass sleeve with plastic as Arvin suggests  and see if that helps. I need to figure out how to resize pics. I won't be able to shoot for a few days so I'll readress the issue then. Thanks

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 05:56:17 pm »
I guess I would describe the noise as a knock. Upon release of the string. At first I thought it may be an overspined arrow slapping against the bow but after trying multiple spines the noise didn't go away.

Pull to full draw then let down slowly and listen for the "knock." If no sound, try a very heavy arrow and see if you get the sound. It probably seems like a small point, but does the sound happen "upon release of the string," or when the arrow leaves the string. It matters. Also, with bow unbraced, put the handle in your vice (pad with leather as needed) and push the limb forward and back and see if you detect any slop.

I'm thinking it's not fore and aft slop making the noise. Even a hinged bow with no latch is stable as long as the string is intact.

Above all, find out what's making the noise before you start throwing "cures" at it or give up and epoxy it.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine