Author Topic: Your Hunting Style  (Read 12590 times)

Offline burtonridr

Your Hunting Style
« on: July 11, 2018, 12:48:29 pm »
Just read another thread about the longest shot people are comfortable taking while hunting. Most are in the 10-20yd range, it has me curious about the hunting style people on the forum are using. Are you setting up ambush locations? Are you spot and stalking? How successful are you each season with your style of hunting?

Thanks!
Offgrid mtn living

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Your Hunting Style
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 12:51:05 pm »
When I regularly hunted I mostly hunted from tree stand in areas where you probably couldn't shoot 20 yards or more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:32:45 pm »
I use tree stands along trails and heavily traveled areas.  Last year I killed 2 deer with a traditional bow in  the first 4.5 hours on stand.  My hunting seasons don't always go that well  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:29:19 pm »
I hunt in factory built tree stands 10-15 feet off the ground along game trails or areas the deer frequent. The areas I hunt are all farm ground or directly adjacent to farm ground. I used to shoot plenty of deer when I was younger, now I'm mostly a spectator an enjoy just watching them do what deer do. I have enjoyed teaching my boys and watching them become independent and successful hunters. I still try to shoot "at" a deer every 2-3 years so I dont forget how :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 08:02:21 pm »
I set up with ambush locations.  My hunting grounds is a very large old growth forest with thin ridges and deep ditches and some of the areas have been logged . all have shelfs on the side of the steep hill sides that deer use.  but when you find an area where the deer are crossing from ridge to ridge the ground will look like a cattle trail.  And where two trails come together is good too.  So I set up on ambush locations and after about two or three evenings and mornings, I'll get  good shots.  Only issue hunting on the ground with ambush opportunities is sometimes the deer come up behind you on the wrong side.  I have had deer within 10 ft of me  on the wrong side many times with no shot opportunity.  That's what I love, the closer the better.
Good luck in your hunting but I love hunting off the ground at ambush points these days.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline StickMark

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 12:34:41 pm »
Ground hunter here, in Southern Arizona, recently wearing ASAT (seems to work).  I will spot them, or find the area they use from scouting and previous seasons.  Then I egress in there, use natural concealment, move super slow (like real super slow...meaning raise the binos real slow, arrow often ready, move eyes before head kinda slow).  I experience what Danzn Bar does, deer approaching wrong side, or does blocking the bucks.  I try to keep the bows I make on the shorter side, as that helps me shoot from awkward positions. 

I started killing when I started believing that the deer "were right there", and when I get in an area, I act like that, looking into every bush.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 02:12:02 pm »
Spot and stalk in the Black Hills National Forest, usually in areas close to well travelled roads where the deer sometimes just ignore someone walking along!  LOL, walked right within 15 yard of my first deer while she watched me!

Rattling antlers during the rut has worked, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 09:11:28 am »
I started killing when I started believing that the deer "were right there", and when I get in an area, I act like that, looking into every bush.

This makes me chuckle because its so true, with elk as well. Growing up, a couple times, as soon as I let my guard down and decided it was time to get out of "hunting mode" and into "hiking mode" to get back to the road, within 20 yds of making this decision I would hear an animal blow out of the canyon. Now, I constantly remind myself "there are animals, right here, right now, watching and listening for me to make a mistake".

But then I remember the times I've walked right through an area, stopped at the next ridge, looked back and see deer looking at me from where I just went through. One time in open sage brush, I swear a doe and fawn were bedded down no more than 10yds from where I walked right by them. I've been blown away a few times by how well deer blend into their surroundings.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 12:04:17 pm »
That is so true. They are like ghost. They can appear out of thin air. I've almost stepped on them before and they laid right there until I made eye contact. Then they exited stage left. I'm convinced if I hadn't made eye contact I they would have stayed right there.
   I still have a lot to learn about bow hunting. I have taken one buck with my selfbow. It was from the ground. I was standing behind my tree stand, unable to climb into it because deer were already out. I watched a four point buck walk out of the woods and down the trail I was standing next to. He was looking all around but it was like I was totally invisible. I waited for him to walk past me and shoot him from nine paces. I also hunt from tree stands but don't feel as comfortable. I have learned though that all tree stands are not created equal. I just bought one I e been waiting for a year to come on sale. I feel much more comfortable in this one. It has a seat that flips up and a larger platform. It seems to me that many of the stands are more suitable to gun or crossbow hunting. It is also different shooting from elevated platform. If I don't bend my upper body at waist and square it up to target I shoot high. Way high. Also your angle makes sweet spot smaller. I've shot at two from stands. First was directly under my stand and poor angle. I hit a little forward in shoulder with very little penetration. The second everything was perfect except me. I calmly drew to my anchor, concentrated on my spot and watched my arrow sail a couple inches over his back. I forgot to bend my upper body to square up with my target. I do really enjoy sitting in a tree though and it's great fun to watch the animals and much easier to not be detected. I've been less than five yards from them on the ground, but it's harder to get a shot that close on the ground than from a stand. That's when it's nice to have them keep on walking. The most surprising thing I've learned is how much I enjoy this type of hunting.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 02:05:36 pm »
I like tall grass hunting. I find an ambush spot with high grass nearby. Then root around laying the grass in the middle down and turn over the soil.  The grass is high enough i can curl up in my little man nest,  and never be seen. Cleaned of sticks, leaves, and grass in the middle i can fidget without a sound. I hunt with my ears. I stay low until i hear something. Then peek up usually to see an armadillo.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 02:30:00 pm »
I like tall grass hunting. I find an ambush spot with high grass nearby. Then root around laying the grass in the middle down and turn over the soil.  The grass is high enough i can curl up in my little man nest,  and never be seen. Cleaned of sticks, leaves, and grass in the middle i can fidget without a sound. I hunt with my ears. I stay low until i hear something. Then peek up usually to see an armadillo.

"I hunt with my ears."  I know with turkey hunting I often sit as still as possible and pour as much concentration into listening as I possibly can.  Especially if the bird is coming in from behind me.  The more you try to see things, the more you move. Your movement will bust you more times than than not.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 02:35:17 pm »
Don't be afraid to try some calls too. I've gotten shooting at does using a predator calls. Just be ready to defend yourself as they come running to see what's there or help the distressed I'm not sure. I use this from the ground when up close to them. Bucks don't want anything to do with this calling.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 08:54:50 pm »
Don't be afraid to try some calls too. I've gotten shooting at does using a predator calls. Just be ready to defend yourself as they come running to see what's there or help the distressed I'm not sure. I use this from the ground when up close to them. Bucks don't want anything to do with this calling.

Crazy never heard of that before, so like a fawn bleat? OR dying rabbit?
Offgrid mtn living

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 09:02:45 pm »
"I hunt with my ears."  I know with turkey hunting I often sit as still as possible and pour as much concentration into listening as I possibly can.  Especially if the bird is coming in from behind me.  The more you try to see things, the more you move. Your movement will bust you more times than than not.

Really good point, and I wonder if this ever happens to anyone else. Have you ever been out in the quiet so long, and become so concentrated on every sound that you start to hear slight squeaks or rasp in your breath? I'm talking sounds you would never hear otherwise. Where you have to hold your breath just to be sure it wasnt leaves or brush rustling off in the distant. When Im out hunting with a rifle, this starts to happen to me about day 3 or 4.

I'm really hoping I can get something with a bow this year, I'm going to keep all this tactics in mind and try them out.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 05:21:57 am »
Twice I've had nice bucks come into me at close range while predator calling. I was using a old Johnny Stewart rabbit in distress call. I know my brother has had them come into his electronic call while predator calling to. I've never actually tried it though while deer hunting.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise