Author Topic: Ky stone points  (Read 2731 times)

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Ky stone points
« on: August 10, 2018, 06:34:21 pm »
Can anyone tell me the regulations for stone hunting points in Kentucky. Like 7/8 " wide, barbs etc. Thanks- Brendan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ky stone points
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 08:25:53 pm »
You could Google KY DNR or Game & Fish or just KY hunting regs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 07:41:48 am »
Here is what is in the regulations….
•   Fixed   blade   or mechanical broadheads at least 7/8” wide (when blades extended), but broadheads may not be chemically treated.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 08:48:34 am »
Here is what is in the regulations….
•   Fixed   blade   or mechanical broadheads at least 7/8” wide (when blades extended), but broadheads may not be chemically treated.

Sounds like that's pretty vague. I would think stone points would be in the fixed broadheads category and because it doesn't say not allowed are allowed as long as they meet the 7/8" requirements. Is that the way you read it Bill? Michigan until just recently allowed stone points at least 7/8" wide without barbs. Now they switched to allow barbs also.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 09:42:53 am »
That's the thing, everything I Google is just vague statements about steel mechanical broadhead. Nothing about stone. I was gonna make a stone point for the arrow trade, but I want him to be able to use it. I am just gonna go at least 7/8" wide and no barbs. Thanks- Brendan

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 10:26:08 am »
I have a very good friend in the Fish & Wildlife Dept. that I have talked to about it and I have taken deer with stone points over 7/8" wide with no barbs in the past.  The last two or three years I have been using trade points.
The regs once stated no barbs. but I still wouldn't use a stone point with one.  I think they changed it for mechanicals.
I believe Stone points are classified as fixed blades.  To make sure I would check with the local CO in the area hunting for his interpretation.

I'm sure whomever your making the arrow for would appreciate a stone point you knapped.  I would.
DBar 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking