Author Topic: It's only for practice, after all...  (Read 2450 times)

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
Re: It's only for practice, after all...
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 02:18:02 pm »
Pat, I didn't mean to suggest the answers were offensive. I just meant that people clearly feel strongly about it. I was expecting a kind of "well it might be okay, but I don't know" kind of response.

I know and appreciate that there are some excellent bowyers here. It's why I posed the question.

After all the advice I think I'll probably just put the tools away and only take them out again when I have decent wood. Or maybe I'll use a bit of the bad board for some tip overlays. They do have a gorgeous gold colour that'll look excellent against my massaranduba red.
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 05:29:38 pm »
Sometimes an answer to a question is not what we want to hear.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 05:43:24 pm »
Have you considered backing it with something?  This an unknown wood to me and may in fact be an excellent bow-wood
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 07:15:32 pm »
Where do you live, Matt?  Have you tried our Trading Post?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 07:41:01 pm »
If you can go buy hickory axe handles, you have bow wood. 2 handles if good grain ( they usually are ) and similar ring structure will yield a 40-50 # bow at 26 inches using a take down sleeve.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline MattZA

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 02:05:32 am »
Marc, I've used it before, and it seems to be a good wood. Not Osage, obviously, but slightly better than Ash, from what I've read. Definitely better than red oak.

Pat I live in South Africa, which complicates things. It means I don't have access to: red oak, maple, osage, hickory, ash, elm or yew. To all intents and purposes, the only readily available woods in order of quality are massaranduba, garapa, meranti, mahogany, pine (har har).

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 06:20:47 am »
Marc, I've used it before, and it seems to be a good wood. Not Osage, obviously, but slightly better than Ash, from what I've read. Definitely better than red oak.

Pat I live in South Africa, which complicates things. It means I don't have access to: red oak, maple, osage, hickory, ash, elm or yew. To all intents and purposes, the only readily available woods in order of quality are massaranduba, garapa, meranti, mahogany, pine (har har).

Get some Massaranduba then.  It's very good bow wood.

Offline MattZA

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 07:00:06 am »
I will when I get the chance. Fortunately it's pretty reasonably priced in board form. Costs me the equivalent of $5 for a board that'll make a 60" ntn bow.

I'm just not in the area at the moment. Hence the OP.