Author Topic: Yew Recurve Build-Along  (Read 24307 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: Yew Recurve Build-Along
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2018, 03:07:31 pm »
Great build along and real nice lookin bow
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2018, 07:54:58 am »
Thanks for taking us along on your build[no set tillering included].Many on here love this type of bow.I like it and that's a very fine bow in my opinion with the added details to it.Congratulations.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:59:01 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2018, 09:39:20 am »
Great work so far

Offline Will B

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 11:32:53 am »
Great job on everything.  Thanks for taking the time to document it.  Very helpful

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2018, 07:14:45 pm »
After being so busy lately with work, I finally got back to working on the bow. It did take a while to decide on what skins to use for the backing. I have a bunch of Pacific rattlesnake skins, none of which match each other very well, so I decided to use the skins I got from Cipriano in a trade. The skins were a bit over 50" long, and I only needed 28", so I cut them down. With 20" left over that I will be able to do a partial backing.
I got the back dyed with some black leather dye a few weeks ago, so its good and dry.
To match the tip overlays, I soaked the skins and cut the tips to match. I returned the skins to water, and coated one limb with some TBII, and dipped my fingers in water and rubbed on the back of the bow to thin the glue out a bit. By doing this, I have had fewer issues with glue bubbles under the skin.
I normally do not wrap the skins with ace bandages, but this skin did not want to lay down like most, so I wrapped the recurved areas, and continued working the skins down with my fingers, then finished the wrapping.
Eric

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2018, 07:20:19 pm »
After 15 minutes, I unwrapped the ace bandages to prevent them from leaving an ace bandage pattern on the skins.
 Before wrapping, I had used a razor to cut the skins close to the bow.
After about 1.5 - 2 hours, I use 150 grit sandpaper stapled to a piece of lath, and at a steep angle, pushing down and towards the tips, I trim the skins to fit.
Eric

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2018, 11:35:34 pm »
Where did you have the branding iron made?  I like that idea!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2018, 07:39:13 am »
There is a place online called Shapeways. This one is actually designed to hook to a lighter, but I don’t see a lighter getting it hot enough. I think they are around $25-30 for a custom shape.
Eric