Author Topic: Have you seen black bear killed with blowgun  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Have you seen black bear killed with blowgun
« on: July 16, 2018, 11:33:27 am »
So with all the new videos from Tim Wells. Showing all the big game he's  killing with his blowgun. Is it time to start rethinking what you he natives hunted with them?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=euf2kMefMYg 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:48:45 am by Ed Brooks »
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Have you seen black bear killed with blowgun
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:02:56 am »
Take the first http off the link  and it will work.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:23:09 am »
Pretty amazing, zero room for error with something like that. I would be very interested to see the dart inside the animal as well as its entry and path.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:32:57 am »
considering the low mass of the dart and that it is pretty short I wouldn't consider it an ethical way of killing a bear.
Judging by other videos of that guys it seems he is more interested in killing in a fun and spectacular way than hunting

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:08:28 pm »
Quite a video.Thanks for showing.Back in the 1980's when buckskinning I met a friend back then who hunted bear with a spear.Quite the effective way of taking a bear.It was done hundreds of years ago also.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 12:45:57 pm »
I clicked on that video and got a guy spearing a bear. The title even said he was using a bow gun. I missed that part?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 01:01:04 pm »
I clicked on that video and got a guy spearing a bear. The title even said he was using a bow gun. I missed that part?
The blowgun is after the spear. Look him up on you tube he's made a few kills with the blowgun.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:03:06 pm »
Ahhhh.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 03:14:15 pm »
considering the low mass of the dart and that it is pretty short I wouldn't consider it an ethical way of killing a bear.
Judging by other videos of that guys it seems he is more interested in killing in a fun and spectacular way than hunting
Glis I agree. What need is there to kill a bear with a blowgun. How many misses and injured bears will be the result of others attempting this? :(
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 05:19:03 pm »
I agree too but there is a big gray area here. I'll bet there are people out there that use a .50 cal rifle that think that archery is to iffy to be legal.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 12:07:04 pm »
DC I see your point but definitly the mass of the dart is too low
I'm pretty sure that a less than perfect shot would fail
maybe just brushing a leaf could deflect it

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 01:26:21 pm »
Yup, too many things could go wrong.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 05:52:35 am »
Might be the odd man out here, but seems like one heck of a hunter to me. It is recorded video (which is pretty amazing in itself)so who knows with the editing, but seems to me he got close enough and proficient enough to ethically take that bear. He also was very close to the one he passed on because everything wasn't right.
Do I think everyone should run out and start hunting with blowguns? No, but I don't think everyone should just go out with a selfbow or a shotgun or a bushmaster that is advertised to have a 300 yard range without becoming proficient with them. People also need to learn to hunt as it isn't the same as target shooting. As for to many things to go wrong, that's just plain Hunting. There's always a bunch of things that can go wrong and a lot that have to go right for it to be a successful harvest. Notice I didn't say successful hunt. I think that you can have a successful hunt without a harvest. I think one can have a successful hunt and never take a shot.
I hope I don't upset my good friends here. I truly respect you and your opinions. I guess I think it's more about the hunter than the equipment. I know guys I'm sure if you gave them a blowgun they'd practice and practice and harvest a animal with it. I know others you could give a bushmaster and they'd shot it a couple times and wound a animal. I also know that the gremlins can strike and anyone can have a bad day. I think the more we know about our equipment, its capabilities and limitations. Our hunting target and its habits and vitals area and how to access it the better hunters we are.
Respectfully
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 06:35:02 am »
  I agree Bj...I think this guy is proficient...He is patient also...He is confident with his equipment and we should all be before stepping into a hunting scenario...
                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;