Author Topic: Not what it could have been, but rescued.  (Read 1552 times)

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
Not what it could have been, but rescued.
« on: July 13, 2018, 12:24:14 pm »
Not sure if anyone remembers, but I asked for help on a hinged bulletwood bow a while back.

After reducing it from 45# to a stitch above 35# and (amateurishly) heat treating the weak spot - here it is. It's only my 3rd attempt, so please don't kill me for the uneven tiller and still present hinge on the top limb. The limbs aren't twisted, that's just a trick of the light.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T7b1kisNgnsHDXiX6

Note: It's still not complete. It's getting a handle wrap and dainty tip overlays.

35# at 28"
58" ntn, 60" ttt.
1 3/4" of string follow after about 250 arrows.
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: Not what it could have been, but rescued.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 12:30:09 pm »
Hey it’s a shooter and you saved it so well done! It does not even look all that bad now and you will get better at tillering with each new bow.

Offline MattZA

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 12:36:50 pm »
Thanks Leon!

It's actually pretty nippy for its light draw weight. I don't have a chrono, but it's visibly faster than a 30# PSE Razorback.

I might be pushing my luck, but do you think it's possible to steam some setback into that handle to try and negate a bit of string follow? A bridge too far?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 12:49:35 pm »
Tiller looks great, Matt. Congrats!   You will only increase the weight by a few pounds by inducing back set. I'd call this one done and start on the next one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 02:15:33 pm »
It's worth noting that Massa is one of the very few tropicals that will respond to steam at all so you could consider a slight handle setback in a future bow.

Offline MattZA

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 02:46:00 pm »
Thanks for that tidbit, Pat. Pretty much all of my bows are going to be made of Massa I reckon. It's readily available and really cheap. Like I said in another thread - it's about $3 per board.

I'm considering experimenting with a bit of reflex in my next bow. I want to try a sort of Mollie style, but with slightly shorter static tips steamed into a small amount of reflex. Not sure if that exists, I just thought it'd look great.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 03:29:23 pm »
Do you have access to hickory, hard maple or elm to use as a backing? If so your options could be endless.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MattZA

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 03:39:00 pm »
Unfortunately not. The only recognised bow wood commonly available here is Massa. I've heard hickory is possible, but normally only in massive quantities.

Do you know anything about Garapa? It's also known as Brazilian Ash. The only report I've heard is that "it'll do", which doesn't inspire confidence.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 04:48:18 pm »
Massa makes a backing itself according to some so you could just rip a backing and glue it up to another piece in slight reflex.

I've never made a self bow from it but in a bend test it is far less brittle than many tropical woods are when unbacked.

My local yard used to sell it in huge quantities but now they don't have it at all.  I thought I had a readily available lifetime supply and didn't stock up when I had the chance.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 06:16:06 pm »
Looks good, Matt. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline MattZA

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 10:27:49 pm »
Cheers Jawge!

Thanks for that, Pat. I'll give it a try some time and definitely provide some feedback for anyone who follows.