Author Topic: Cottonwood  (Read 2346 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Cottonwood
« on: July 15, 2018, 10:07:33 am »
I have a friend that has a cottonwood limb that needs to be cut down.
I know that cottonwood is like poplar. Would it make decent arrows or would i be wasting my time with it.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cottonwood
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 11:50:56 am »
You are never wasting your time trying out new possibilities for arrows. Give it a try and let us know how they turn out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 12:09:27 pm »
You are never wasting your time trying out new possibilities for arrows. Give it a try and let us know how they turn out.

Kinda the way I look at things to Pat. I've never tried cottonwood for shafts. I've used it for building other things. It is soaking wet when you first saw it. You can watch the water run out in front of the sawblade. Weighs a ton wet. We sawed a bunch one winter and piled them on wagon. The next day when  we went to stack and strip them to dry they were all frozen together. Very nice light wood that's pretty easy to work with when cured.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 03:52:47 pm »
Worst firewood in the world. It's fireproof when wet and burns way to fast when dry ;D Might make good arrows though.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 04:18:58 pm »
Worst firewood in the world. It's fireproof when wet and burns way to fast when dry ;D Might make good arrows though.

Lol yea +1 WORST firewood ever!

If I remember right, cotton wood is light weight and very strong. Supposed to make good furniture.  (SH)
Offgrid mtn living

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 04:43:21 pm »
Thanks guys.  Ill give it a try. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to dry.  Shoukd ake some arrows.  Just not sure how good. We'll see.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%