Author Topic: Slump  (Read 2629 times)

Offline DC

Slump
« on: July 15, 2018, 11:36:52 am »
How do you get yourself out of a slump? My last two or three bows have been "failures". That is they didn't break, they just didn't tiller out nice and in chasing that they came in under weight. They've all been the same stye (R/D) so I'm wondering should I take a few weeks off bow making or maybe try something different. What do you guys do to get out of a slump?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Slump
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 11:45:48 am »
DC, I have taken a few years off bow building and just recently started back. It's not the end of the world, believe it of not.  :o
Changing styles may help but finding something else like arrows and knives might just clear your mind so you can get back to building bows again. You've make a lot of bows in the last few years. Maybe it is time for a break.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 12:00:58 pm »
DC you've built some beautiful bows. I think you are the type that likes the next one to be better than the last one. I understand and it's a worthy goal. Sometimes though especially trying a new design it takes awhile to figure things out. I'm sure you will.
I agree with Pat in that I like to do a bunch of different things. Want a real challenge try some flint knapping to humble yourself. I swear every time I think I've got it figured out I screw the next three in a row up.lol I still gotta keep trying.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 12:07:43 pm »
I have other projects on the go, or the wife finds some for me  >:( ;)
I've a long term crossbow project, I do bits of art, sculpture, DIY, refurbishing old tools etc*.
Never work on bows unless I really want to, certainly never because I "ought to".
When in doubt I'll tidy the work shop, sort out staves, contemplate other bow styles, do some reading or armchair bow making.
Sure as heck after a while something or maybe someone asking something will re-ignite the enthusiasm.
Funnily enough enough I've written a lot on my blog lately about the crossbow... and someone asked a mate of mine "What's up with Del, has he stopped making bows?" My mate reassured him I was just on a break :)
Del
* If you don't have a lathe, if you can find a small old second hand one, they are V useful and fun to refurbish.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 12:16:58 pm »
I find inspriation in looking at the bows posted by others.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 01:15:56 pm »
I like variety, so between bows I build cbg guitars, forge knives and other things, do wood carving, flintknapp, and build most of my specialty tools, I'm like a squirrel on crack lol
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 01:23:18 pm »
  I don't think you are in a slump, when you are experimenting you can expect a higher rate of failure or at least limited success. If the bows are coming in too light do you know why? Are they under designed or did you use a faulty method of approaching full draw? As long as you know what you are doing and why something is happening you are not wasting your time.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 03:03:16 pm »
I tend to concentrate on one thing(hobby). I did cars for twenty five years, bonsai for ten, r/c sailboats for ten and now bows for(so far) five. I tried flint knapping but it's out cause my hands won't take it. If I can't grasp a tool with my whole hand I pretty much can't use it. I made a string the other day and it really hurt. So my personality and physical abilities kind of limit what I can do. I'm happy making bows and I've probably got another 5-10 years at it so maybe I'll try making some pretty bows and stop this chasing speed for a while. Not sure I'm artistic enough for pretty bows though. We'll see, thanks for the input :)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 03:18:23 pm »
  I don't think you are in a slump, when you are experimenting you can expect a higher rate of failure or at least limited success. If the bows are coming in too light do you know why? Are they under designed or did you use a faulty method of approaching full draw? As long as you know what you are doing and why something is happening you are not wasting your time.

Well said Badger.
DC the bends on your bows make them pretty. You've made some very pretty bows. Nothing wrong with chasing that speed or distance or whatever you want to chase. Don't have to beat yourself up though if once and awhile it takes a few extra tries to catch it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 03:33:27 pm »
I'm pretty sure I know why they're failing. It's overconfidence/stupidity on my part ;D ;D On this last one the belly wood was getting a bit too thin for my liking and i still had a long way(I thought) to go. The tips were way to wide and the the limbs were 1 3/4 at the fades. I thought I could get away with 1/4" off the width all the way down. Too much!!! One limb was OK but the other was too light. By the time they were equal(ish) it was too late. I have to figure out how to stop myself from doing similar things. Maybe a longbow. My last longbow worked out :) :) :)

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 07:33:04 pm »
Hi DC,

I had a very busy summer working and had no time for building bows at all. So you can call it a slump but of a different kind as well. I am itching to get back into it though and hopefully in August I have time.

Have you tried different bow woods or are you always making bows with the same type of wood? I have found HHB to be great wood to work with, so if you have not tried it you might want to give it a whirl. Maybe trying something new will get you out of the slump?

Cheers,

Phil

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 07:37:22 pm »
Sometimes I think we're on parallel wavelengths or something Don. I've been working on the same types of bows as you (I think) and have felt a great bit of discouragement lately. Like the guys have said, I'm chalking it up to a new, and may I say extremely challenging, design in which any number of things can go wrong.  >:(

I'm just gonna keep pushing until I get the result I'm shooting for cause I know it can be done, but I may need to take some breathers here and there.  ;)

Glad to hear that longbow worked out. I may be all the way across the continent, but I'm right there with ya in spirit my friend.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 07:41:35 pm »
Maybe it's time to slow down a bit?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 10:15:21 am »
Jeff, are you noticing with these bows that things happen suddenly? I'm noticing that there doesn't seem to be little problems, everything goes fine and then, Oh,Oh.

Marc, I don't know if I can do that. I get out in the shop and things just roll along at their own pace. I am going to be more careful and try not to take big steps, though.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 10:45:20 am »
I find it very helpful to break often and evaluate my options and the potential outcomes, especially while tillering or at other at critical decision points.  Even if it's just an overnight break, as long as there is time to ponder the problem.

Like others though, I keep myself occupied with other interests and hobbies.  Also, just building multiple bows, I can simply switch to a different aspect of build while I have time to think. Often times, a solution just seems to present itself as I am concentrating on something else.