Author Topic: Sad day  (Read 5271 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Sad day
« on: July 17, 2018, 05:41:39 am »
For anyone that hasn't meet Dick Carrigan let's just let me say , he was a great guy and WW2 Vet , very much what can be described as a hero. Lots of action in the war but very humble about it all. I meet him at Elm Hall 15 years or so ago, he was shooting a Walnut selfbow. He was very much a selfbow guy back when their wasn't that many selfbow guys around. I have had the pleasure every year since to see and visit with him in his camp and always enjoy the time we spend together. He will be missed for sure.  :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stoker

Re: Sad day
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:53:39 am »
My condolences for the loss of your friend Pappy.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:33:18 am »
Pappy he was still at Elm Hall every year wasn't he? I recognize him and that hat. Another WW2 hero gone, but he had a good run and how lucky we are to have heroes like him in our country.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 03:00:22 pm »
Pappy he was still at Elm Hall every year wasn't he? I recognize him and that hat. Another WW2 hero gone, but he had a good run and how lucky we are to have heroes like him in our country.
Well said Pearly,
Pappy, I have met so many wonderful veterans since getting involved in primitive skills.
There is something about reality that binds us. May this good man RIP. )P(
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 06:06:29 pm »
Couldn't have said it any better Chris.

Offline Otis

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 06:54:12 pm »
It was neat to be at Elm Hall when Beau played the song he wrote, "The Flag" for Dick.  Brought a tear to this guys eye for sure.  He was a true American Hero.

David

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 05:10:33 am »
Yes he was Pearl and shot up until the last couple of years ,and yes Dave Beau and I still cherish that, he was as tough as they come but yet still a very gentle soft spoken man. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 06:25:54 am »
I though that perma-grin was very familiar, he always wore one when I seen him. I spoke with him briefly a few years back under the awning.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 04:58:57 am »
Bless him and all our heroes. Pappy that's Dave the tee shirt guys dad isn't it? I meet him my first visit to Marshall. He was just as you discribed him. I visited with him again my second year actually asking Dave about him and seeking him out. I asked Dave if he was coming this year and he said he didn't know. Dad was really slowing down. He didn't make it there as far as I know. He did love selfbows and his family & country. I feel honored to have meet him .
 Thanks for posting this.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:29:50 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 09:14:49 am »
I will always miss our heroes and remember all they have done for us.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 09:58:11 am »
A salute to him and all veterans, as well!  The job needed to be done and they were the men and women who did it, and are still doing it!  RIP, Dick and thanks!   Maybe, someday, all fronts will be secure for all people!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 06:28:32 am »
Dick is a true American hero. He was awarded the Bronze Star for his heroic actions in battle in WW II. I had many good talks with Dick at shoots. He is guarding heavens gates for sure.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 09:30:39 am »
I'm gonna miss him to Jeb. I was looking for his son Dave at Elm Hall. Didn't see him. I thought I had Dave's number in my phone but I couldn't find it.
Bjrogg

Offline JEB

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 11:09:28 am »
Dave wasn't at Elm Hall, He was at the flintridge knap in , in Ohio. We had a good talk about his dad.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 11:56:39 am »
I didn't think he was Jeb. When I saw him at Marshall he was planning on Elm Hall to.
Bjrogg