Author Topic: Wildlife adventures right in my house.  (Read 3196 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Wildlife adventures right in my house.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 06:39:18 am »
Thready who lives by Montgomery City in the country lets his cattle graze right up to his house but does'nt mow his yard to keep the grass short to be able to see the snakes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:52:42 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 07:32:22 am »
I grew up in an unfinished house.  We had several snakes get in there.  One ended up in the washing machine somehow.  Another time a good sized black rat snake was hanging out of an opening in the wall.  Dad made me and my sister go upstairs while he took care of it.  We were both peeking around the corner to watch.  He put on a heavy leather welding glove and grabbed the snake.  He took off running through the house swinging that snake all around and hitting it into stuff so it wouldn't swing up and bite him.  He slammed it hard against the front door and left a some blood splatter.  He got it outside and finished it off.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 11:01:03 am »
Yup I'm sure my wife is going to feel better now. I going with what Zuma said.

Ed we got a neighbor like that. In fact he has three houses and two of them he lets the cattle in the garage.

Clint I'm sure you and your sister will always remember that. Probably already knew your dad was bad a$$ but just in case that probably reinforced it.

Yes the first two times I had bat in house was when I was doing a extensive do it yourself remodeling job on my old farm house. I had all the plaster knocked off the walls. I changed the floor plan and had two stairways. A new one I just built and the old one I was planning on converting into a closet. I had the kitchen and one new bedroom I'd just put in my attic. I was in the bedroom when a bat came flying  in and then back out. It was flying up one stairway and down the other. Through all the open stud walls and making a hard target to catch. That's when I found out a window screen works real good. I stood in the one staircase and when he flew over my head I knocked him to the floor. That was before I was married and I didn't tell my wife about that one till many years later. When I met her she had a serious bat problem in the house she was renting. She doesn't like bats in the house. Outside is ok but not in the house.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 01:58:40 pm »
I use a fishing net for catching bats in the house. I like the ones with a long handle.lol

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 06:37:55 pm »
I grew up in an unfinished house.  We had several snakes get in there.  One ended up in the washing machine somehow.  Another time a good sized black rat snake was hanging out of an opening in the wall.  Dad made me and my sister go upstairs while he took care of it.  We were both peeking around the corner to watch.  He put on a heavy leather welding glove and grabbed the snake.  He took off running through the house swinging that snake all around and hitting it into stuff so it wouldn't swing up and bite him.  He slammed it hard against the front door and left a some blood splatter.  He got it outside and finished it off.   

(lol)

I could picture that mayhem crystal clear while I was reading this. Hilarious. Thanks OO   
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:40 pm »
Early in the spring around february towards the first part of March one year here I was helping a fella calve out 350 of his cows.Long 16 hour days and every day no breaks for weeks.So coming home was a matter to just get the house warm/cleaned up/fed/and to bed for the next day as soon as possible to get rested for the next day.
One time I come home in the dark seeing my damper on my wood stove was turned or disturbed.I suspected something had gotten in there from the top side through the rain cap and into the stove pipe.Probably a bird I thought.Knowing it was in the wood stove already I got ready with a bat minten racket to swat whatever was going to come out of there when I opened the stove door.I opened the front door first so whatever it was could get out the door easily.
I opened the door and out flew a darn old starling.Flying all around the room from corner to corner from what seemed more than a few times.From him being in the stove pipe he had a fair amount of black soot all over himself and left quite a few black streaks all over my nice clean white walls.He finally seen the door hole and got outside.
Next morning before leaving early I put a strip of 1"by2" welded wire around the opening of the rain cap to stop that from happening any more.
PS...As a side note while I was a bachelor I raised many wild critters in the house.Baby crows/owls/squirrels/ferrets/numerous pups thinking from the top of my head.I'm sure I'm forgetting some other critters too,but no snakes yet.....lol.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:04:19 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed