Author Topic: And so burns the west  (Read 2381 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

And so burns the west
« on: July 19, 2018, 11:07:46 am »
Currently in my Neck of the woods. The Fergusen FIre you can pull up INCIWEB and find it there. We had received an evacuation advisory early on but no other notices since then. If you look at an incident map I am off  of Division Z on the south west side, the lower Ponderosa Way closer to Highway 140. This fire is over 22K, Air quality is Hazardous, kind looks like it is snowing if you stand still. It is in really steep, rugged terrain. Indirect lines and aerial attacks as the smoke clears each day. the VLAT(very large air tanker) a converted DC10 has made a lot of runs over my house and given us a great show of it maneuverability. Amazing! Various helos as well.  If you all are close to other fires I offer prayers for your safety as well and for all the fire fighters and support staff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: And so burns the west
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 03:27:43 pm »
Keeping our fingers crossed for you and all involved, Ben.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 05:01:06 pm »
Very scary Ben.I hope your family sleeps in shifts.
I doubt there are many escape routs in that terrain.
Doin a raindance now. Be safe.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 05:32:10 am »
Best of luck Ben. Fire is such a amazing thing. When we control it it make us feel warm and safe. It's dancing flame mesmerizing us and provides us entertainment.

When it's out of our control, it sends a chill down our spine and gives us a feeling of danger. It's dancing flame puts our senses on alert.

Sure hope they can get it under control Ben.
Stay Safe
Bjrogg

PS nearly lost a combine yesterday thrashing wheat. It developed a small fire under a shield. A very small fire can turn into a very large fire in seconds in a ripe wheat field. Amazing we caught it before the field caught fire to. It could have taken two combines, a tractor and grain cart and trucks.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 06:13:29 am »
Be safe Ben, I have been watching it and thinking of you.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 12:03:15 am »
Ben,
Stay safe, I hope they can get a handle on that one!  We have had 9 fires going at the same time here in Colorado, 2 have been going since June.  Hopefully, the bureaucrats can cut red tape and get the Global Tanker (747), flying out there.  She can drop a hellacious amount of retardant!  those firefighters, both air and ground, are doing a very dangerous job.  If they say leave! get the heck out!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 08:17:47 pm »
Be careful, Buddy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 07:54:38 am »
keep safe Ben
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 10:47:23 am »
Wow! I have seen fire seasons but this one is Bad! Big fire near Bubby is twice the size of the one near me. Fires all over California and the West. The AQI here is unhealthy bordering on hazardous! My Family and I are in good condition. The River Fire burned over one of my knapper friends cabins, his son in law stayed there last night and he has not heard anything since.... the fires are taking their toll on life as well, so far we have lost Two civilians and two FFs here and 6 I think on the Carr Fire. If you are interested on learning more look up the CalFire website or INciweb, My fire is the Fergusen, the one closest to Bubby is the Carr fire, my wife has family near the River and Ranch fires. Some of this area has needed to burn for a long time.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 11:07:16 am »
I'll bet that there is more arson than reported. Almost terroristic.
I wish all the excessive rain we have had could be directed your way.
What tragities.
Zuma :'( :'( :'(
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 12:43:53 pm »
I PM'd bubby a few days ago. He said they were ok. Fire came 20 miles from them but wasn't heading for them. He said the air was full of ash and smoke. Stay safe you all.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online archeryrob

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 07:32:01 am »
Man the West needs the rain from the east! Its amazing its so dry out there and so wet out here. We are 5" short of our yearly normal with 5 months left to go.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 08:59:21 am »
How about a few water pipelines heading west. We've had over 80" so far this year, 10" in the last few days.
 You've been in our thoughts Ben. Hoping things calm down soon for you guys.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 04:39:36 pm »
The Ferguson Fire is just over 95K acres and 82% contained. Still got some firing operations going on. Supposed to finally go back to my "office" Wednesday. This fire started on Friday the 13th of July. Fires popping up nearly everyday. Yes Pat - send some of that H2O this way! We sure could use it! The most recent fire near us is called the Donnell it is over 20K I think and has closed one of the trans sierran highways, 108. It is also in steep brushy terrain. All in all my family and I are well. By this time in September I will be gramps again with the arrival of Number 7! I aint even 50 yet! Whoo boy - what a ride!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 11:26:54 pm »
Ben,
You need some slow soakers, no downpours!  Any rain will be welcome, but floods and mudslides are just as bad as the fires.  Did hear the authorities arrested one dude for arson!  But it only takes any spark even static electricity to set off a big fire!  With the beetle kill and the drought conditions, big fires are inevitable!  Good luck as you return to normal
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry