Author Topic: Feather Fletching  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Pinewood Archer

• I'm just me,nothing special.
Feather Fletching
« on: July 19, 2018, 03:07:10 pm »
Is there any advantage/disadvantage to feather size,shape,length,number or stiffness?
Quality is not an act,it is a habit.~Aristotle
By a Carpenter mankind was made,and only by that Carpenter can mankind be remade.~Desiderius Erasmus

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Feather Fletching
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 03:21:16 pm »
Yes. Feathers act as rudders on the rear of an arrow by causing drag. The more surface area the more drag. Ideally you want only enough fletching to quickly straighten out the arrow's flight after it leaves the bow. For target arrows you can usually get away with relatively smaller feathers but with a hunting arrow with a broadhead you will probably need more fletching to get the arrow flight straightened out quickly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pinewood Archer

• I'm just me,nothing special.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 03:24:51 pm »
Am I correct in assuming the stiffer the feather the better it works?
Quality is not an act,it is a habit.~Aristotle
By a Carpenter mankind was made,and only by that Carpenter can mankind be remade.~Desiderius Erasmus

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 03:28:55 pm »
Stiffer feathers are more durable and more effective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 09:44:35 am »
My buddy made me a dozen with 5.5" high backs, he sold me on them. They are a bit slower and bit noisier, but the flight is amazing. You can get herky and jerky, short draw and still get good arrows off the bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 10:16:38 am »
With hunting arrow, I will cut them an inch tall, shoot them, then cut them down 1/16"-1/8" (which is easy if you are using a burner) at a time until they are quiet. That way I get the max amount of stability with no noise. 
Eric

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 10:23:55 am »
pointed rear end causes more noise for me. Cut that point off and it quiets them down.