Author Topic: School me on bamboo shafts please  (Read 2239 times)

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

School me on bamboo shafts please
« on: July 21, 2018, 10:34:34 am »
I would like to make some Bamboo arrows and I have a ton of question. Do you use the same spine as a Doug Fur can you taper the nock end down to 5/16 where a good place to buy some? These are just a few question I have,
If you see crazy coming cross the street

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: School me on bamboo shafts please
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:42:33 am »
Spine is spine. If the boo is tapered it will be more spine tolerant. The nock end can be tapered to accept a plastic nock but you shouldn't taper any more than just where the nock goes. Self nocks work well with boo if you wrap behind the nock. I like sinew for this but thin, strong thread like silk will work too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:35:58 am »
If you want to start from scratch get garden stakes from the garden center. If you want to start with finished shafts do a Google search for Bamboo Arrow Shafts. I suppose you've read this http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.0.html

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 03:57:21 pm »
I have made them with self nocks and tapered them to accept 5/16 plastic nocks. I prefer plastic because its easy to replace and see. I used to think the spine wasn't a huge deal on boo, I changed my view since. I spine them just like wood. I have found that most that get sold as 50-55 are more likely to be 55-65. Be sure to ask your seller to be specific about the spine. I use a Tru Center V2 to make both nock and point tapers. I like to wrap the front of the feathers in a silk thread. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 04:47:35 pm »
I found the same thing with the spine on arrows I've purchased. Like PD said they are 5-10# heavy.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 04:21:53 pm »
All good advise...……….
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 08:36:59 pm »
Find Danzn Bar's posts on here and have a goal of emulating what ya see. That'll keep ya busy and pleased with youself for couple years.   
(AT)     :OK     (AT)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 09:28:23 am »
I want to thank you all for your help I love making wood arrow and I think I am going to jump down the Bamboo rabbit hole this will be fun.
If you see crazy coming cross the street