Author Topic: Cutting elk antler for knapping billet  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Taxus brevifolia

Cutting elk antler for knapping billet
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:09:01 pm »
Are there some racks unsuitable for this? Don't see how I'll get a straight bopper, this one has angles I wasn't expecting

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cutting elk antler for knapping billet
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 06:55:50 pm »
Elk antler will work but I don't think it's the best material for knapping. It is softer than other antler.  Probably the strongest part would be at or near the bases of the main beams and the bases of the tines.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 07:12:25 pm »
I use moose like Pat said elk is a little softer.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 09:19:19 pm »
Ah. I haven't got any moose, but it's on my list. I've been having fun with hammerstones. I came across this rack from a broken thrown-out mount. I'm tempted to use it for a bow at some point.

Offline skinny d

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 11:13:30 pm »
Not a professional here but im thinking your best bet is to leave the skull bone attached to the main beam and just round the bone off, it is tougher at the skull and base.  The tines might make OK pressure flakers but they will wear quickly as the outer shell is thin and the core is quite spongy quite like mule deer.  As others mentioned moose is best, in my books whitetail would be second if you can find a piece big enough.

Just my $0.02
Dan   

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 11:58:43 pm »
Yes I knew to use the base and round the bone. But this one takes an angle, not sure how to get the regular straight billet I see used so much

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 12:51:57 am »
Lots of guys I see use curved antlers for knapping. In other words, there’s no need to get it straight ;D

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 03:08:34 pm »
Cool thanks

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 10:55:14 pm »
I am a copper knapper, but a billet is a billet, and short billets work well. Some people prefer the short ones. A lot depends on how you want to hold the billet. Some hold the billet softly, while others get a death grip on it. How you hold the billet affects the rest of the variables in knapping. If those were my antlers, I might make one short and one longer so that I could compare them. They look like nice antlers.

WA

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 02:17:33 pm »
Elk is excellent for big glass and obsidian flaking.
 Also works well on primo flint/chert.
Some other great use is for knife handles.
Can be made into scales too.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 08:05:01 pm »
Like Don said, it will work on the easier rock for knapping but I'd use moose, wood or rock on the tougher material.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 09:40:02 pm »
Thanks guys

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 01:08:35 pm »
I had to chuckle because when I posted about an ishi bow I started, people told me to make a different kind. Now I ask about elk, I'm told to use something else. Lol life is good, but a little funny too

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 02:14:42 pm »
Use it.  It takes some getting used to but I prefer it for most general purpose knapping.  The issues are: 1) Mass.  Elk is lighter than whitetail or moose due its pithy core.  I compensate by lashing what looks like a short billet to a T shaped wood handle and swing like a hammer, but the other way to go on your pieces is to leave them a little extra long and leave some extra material in the end.  2) Pithy core means you only have solid antler for a couple of inches past the rosette, so once you use that up, the tool hits reject stage.  (As opposed to moose or whitetail, which is solid and can be used until it gets too short). 3) "Softness".  I prefer to call the material "springier".  It takes some getting used to, but elk will dig into a sharper platform and pull off a longer flake.  That "springy" quality also makes it less "shocky". 

Given how widespread elk once were I am convinced the old timers used it with regularity.  If you have a supply of it, go for it.  I think with a little practice and persistence you will be happy with how it performs. 

Good luck,

Keith

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 10:24:43 am »
Thanks very much!