Author Topic: Earth pigmant paints  (Read 16564 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Earth pigmant paints
« on: July 22, 2018, 06:21:50 am »
I live in Pennsylvania and am trying to find some earth pigmants to make for painting some bows and arrows with. What are some in this area that are what the natives used?

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Earth pigmant paints
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 03:49:48 am »
I know walnut hulls and charcoal. But what about like red and turquoise?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 08:39:07 am »
Red ocher is a natural pigment.  You can get different color pigments from Crazy Crow, a PA sponsor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 06:53:12 pm »
Jake where are you from in PA?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 08:10:17 pm »
Go to a feed store and get some copper and iron nitrate. The copper will make blue/turqouis, and the iron reddish brown.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 08:23:49 am »
I live in johnstown,pa

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 07:00:16 pm »
I'm not far from you I'm in Osterburg about 20 to 30 min.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 06:42:19 pm »
Did Indians ever dye things with berries?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 08:49:34 pm »
Yes, Amerindians of the Northeast used berries and anything else they could get their hands on to produce water-based paints and dyes.  They used insects as well.  The black willow aphid is one example and should be available to you this time of year.  It contains a purple dye that comes out when you squash the bugs.

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 10:12:05 pm »
I looked around for info on mineral-based pigments of the Northeast woodlands but couldn't find anything other than different colored clays.  So, it looks like clay (mixed with water, plant oil, or tree sap) was the main thing used for painting wood with a color that wouldn't fade over time.  And the only thing that I could find to make the paint job waterproof is walnut oil.  Walnut oil is able to harden over time, like linseed oil.  This is a very rare trait among the various other oils available in the Northeast.

You can also mix mineral pigments with animal-based fats like duck fat and bear fat.  But these will smear and collect dirt unless you put them on in very light coats.  This means the colors will be faint and not very noticeable.  Fats are also not waterproof.

There is an art to painting with hot pitch, tar, asphaltum, and plant sugar type paints.  This might have been done in the old days but I personally think it was very rare.  I've tried this technique and it can get very messy really quick.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:13:42 am by JackCrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JEB

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 07:28:05 pm »
I have some rock that they used from the south west if you want some.  it is more gold color with a little red in spots. I could break some up and send some off to you if you want to give it a try.  It is tailings from an iron mine and was told by the  locals that the Natives used it for dye and other projects.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 05:22:02 am »
I painted a bow red using clay that I screened all of the sand out. I just mixed it with hide glue and brushed it on.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatrickH

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 09:41:02 pm »
So I have a BFA in painting and make my own oil paints occasionally. fine art oil paint is really just dried ground material in a medium of linseed oil (though any oil or grease will work, Lascaux cave paintings were made with horse grease). Ivory black is just the ash left from burning bone and its real matte black. Any kind of clay ochre will work which will give anything from reddish to yellow (any color of dried clay) any rock you find that has a color you like can be ground and added to oil for pigment. Plant based pigments are not archival and will fade over time, but usually its over a period of decades, which matters in oil painting but not so much in a bow (you might have to repaint your bow in a 50-500 years lol) really anything that can be dried and ground into a powder and mixed with oil can make pigment. dried rose petals will give you a cool ruddy brown color. Anyway its like making cordage, just grab random stuff and test it and you will be surprised at what works.
Muskegon Mi.