Author Topic: Maple bow???  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Maple bow???
« on: July 22, 2018, 07:14:23 pm »
I have come across a ton of maple trees that I am thinking of harvesting for future bows. My question is how good of a bow wood is it? Does it compare to hickory? High in tention lower in compression? I think they are sugar maples but not sure. Is there any species of maple that is not good to make bows?

Offline DC

Re: Maple bow???
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 07:40:36 pm »
What kind of Maple? Where are you? The west coast has different Maples than back east.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:43:25 pm »
There are lots of maples that are not good bow wood. Sugar maple is a good one.  )W(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 07:47:58 pm »
I live in Pennsylvania.  I've tried to attach a pic of the bark but it's too big and I'm not very electronic savvy.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 08:07:09 pm »
Google Pennsylvania Maples and see if you can ID it.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 08:08:47 pm »
If you're in PA there's good chance it's sugar maple. Leaves will tell the tale.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:58:30 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 01:42:16 am »
Sugar maple is one of my favorite bow woods, Im working on my 4th bow with the wood it has made the fastest bow I have ever made , but design is important as it can be compression weaker then some woods , but needs sharp tools to work, it can be prone to tear out , in stave form it doesn't seem to reflex as it dries as much as hickory or osage.  Plus you can generally find nice strait grained wood ! Its often over looked bow wood but if worked with in its limits its great stuff !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline M2A

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 06:59:25 am »
A good field guide can be priceless. Leaf and bark characteristics can help you determine how to tell sugar from say...red maple(others as well). If you do determine its sugar maple let the chips fly  )W(  Mike

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 06:27:20 pm »
It is indeed sugar maple. Thanks guys.