Author Topic: First bow help  (Read 823 times)

Offline hicklife1989

First bow help
« on: August 22, 2018, 11:08:17 am »
Bout to cut down first tree to build first bow my question is should I seal ends and back right after I split it up or should I wait a week or so

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: First bow help
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:15:17 am »
Peel it right where it drops and seal when you get home.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 12:51:29 pm »
Like Pearl said if it's a white wood peal the bark and cambium off right away. Let it dry a hour or so then seal back and ends. I like to split and rough out stave to heavy floor tiller if I can. It'll dry faster with less chance of getting drying cracks in the back. I usually give the ends and belly another coat of sealer in a day or two. It's a fair amount of work and a lot easier to cut then take care of. Don't dry it to fast at first. Put it some place cool but ventalated if you can. After a couple weeks you can get it drying a bit more aggressive if you like.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 01:24:03 pm »
The cheapest quart polyurethane you can find.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 01:35:09 pm »
Or white carpenters glue.
 What kind of tree is it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 04:11:05 pm »
Glue is better for the ends, I prefer shellac or poly for he back. Much easier for me to sand off.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 04:39:07 pm »
I like shellac for the back also. It is easy to remove later with alcohol if you want to stain the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC