Author Topic: Nocks  (Read 4060 times)

Offline DC

Nocks
« on: July 29, 2018, 12:26:35 pm »
How much does nock fit affect arrow flight? Will tight nocks cause erratic flight? Maybe shoot low? I would hate to have to dedicate arrows to bows as most of my bows are the same draw weight and all the arrows are more or less interchangeable.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Nocks
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 02:37:34 pm »
Yes, nock fit to the string serving AND, if ya do top/bottom string nocks, a too tight fit can affect arrow flight. In my limited experience, proper nock fit to string serving is the more important. YouTube is your friend re correct fit. Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 04:03:43 pm »
I guess I'll have to work on getting my strings all the same diameter.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 04:26:02 pm »
I prefer my nocks to be loose. I've never liked having snap on nocks or tight fitting nocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 04:32:26 pm »
Agreed, not tight. I Use the "thump s5ring with finger". Arrow should fall off string. Also, bit loose better than tight.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 05:23:02 pm »
I agree with PatB and Knoll...……….
A tight nocking point will effect the archers paradox on the arrow and will be hard to tune the arrow to the bow. And will enhance any release flaw you might have.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 08:47:18 am »
This is something I want to try and do better, all of my arrows are very loose fit on my string and just fall off.

Is there a way to get a tighter fit if you remove to much material? Anyone know a trick?

Maybe like a dab of nail polish or something to build it up? I dunno...
Offgrid mtn living

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 11:50:58 am »
You can steam the nock area and squeeze them closed with a pair of pliers. One side usually moves more than the other though. Heat them, squeeze them and hold them under cold water while squeezing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 12:35:03 pm »
Burton, are you using self nocks or plastic nocks?
 My nocks(mostly self) are so loose that they will fall off the string if I don't hold it there. I also nock the arrow above the string nock so I can't hang my bow without the arrow falling off. I like to hold my bow across my lap with my bow hand on the handle and string hand holding the arrow so with very little movement I can raise the bow, draw and shoot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:48:17 pm »
Thanks for the tip DC, I may give that a shot :OK

Pat, I'm using self nocks. Its not a big deal that they are loose I guess, just an area I would like to improve on my arrows. It would be nice to clip it on the string and have it stay put.

Maybe instead of modifying my arrows I could modify my string serving. I could put an extra wrap over the serving right where the arrow nocks on or something.

But then again.... I could also spend my time learning to make bone arrowheads  :D
Offgrid mtn living

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 01:07:15 pm »
I'm kinda with Pat here. I generally use loose nocks. Once you get used to holding them they a not usually a problem for you. They can be a problem to people that aren't used to them. If I let someone at the range shoot one of my bows they are constantly dropping the arrows. I have also dry fired once or twice that I could blame on loose nocks. Snap on nocks minimise the danger of dry firing but they don't eliminate it.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 01:41:34 pm »
When hunting I like the arrow to just barely stay nocked when I'm not holding it.....When I target or 3D shoot and even practice I try to do the same as hunting situations.
Dental floss and super glue does wonders...…;) :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 03:26:31 pm »
When hunting I like the arrow to just barely stay nocked when I'm not holding it.....When I target or 3D shoot and even practice I try to do the same as hunting situations.
Dental floss and super glue does wonders...…;) :)
DBar

I like em like this to. I usually make them tight and then file them a little with my leatherman till they just barely stay on my string. Sometimes if they are lose and I'm hunting I'll put a little paper towel around string. I'm sure the three under crowd likes them to snap on.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 04:42:18 pm »
My arrow set up can't be used with 3 under. I never understood 3 under anyway.   ???

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 01:43:29 pm »
Well Pat, I put a nock point on my string under my arrow and it made a HUGE different in my consistency. I dont know why I had the knock point above... Guess I didnt think about it that much when I did it. I went from 5" group at 10-15 yds down to about 3" groups. Crazy that made such a big difference, maybe its just a mental thing... I dunno, but thanks for the idea (SH)

BTW what is 3 under?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:54:29 pm by burtonridr »
Offgrid mtn living