Author Topic: It's time to get serious  (Read 5288 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
It's time to get serious
« on: July 29, 2018, 08:37:20 pm »
Put up a new ladder stand. Found a beautiful spot
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: It's time to get serious
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 08:39:29 pm »
A couple more

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 08:51:48 pm »
If you look through the trees in the second to last picture you might notice my house.lol this is my back yard. The corn is my sweet corn in the garden. The Navy Beans are in the field behind my house. I've been waiting for this ladder stand to come on sale. I really like it. After hunting a couple years now I know more what I like shooting from. I decided to set it up behind my house so I can practice from it and see if I'd like it turned in a certain direction when I do set it up for hunting. I love the view here. Much better than sitting in front of the TV in my recliner. I might have to get another ladder stand if there still on sale. Really don't want to take this one down. I probably should get a new target to. All those arrows were pass throughs.
Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 02:52:56 am »
Good lookin' spot BJ. I started a Mineral lick yesterday :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 07:23:29 am »
Good Luck Bob. I've been meaning to try that to. I'm thinking it'd work great somewhere close to my little pond. Then setup a ambush in between.
I probably could hunt from this spot by my house and might even give it a try. It'd be really handy on those nights where I get home just before dark. I was driving out my driveway a few Sundays ago at 1:00pm and there was a nice six point buck standing right at the end of my driveway. My brother saw him a few days later on my lawn in front of my barn. I always have tracks, rub and sign all around my house and barn. Last year my son and I picked up a couple loader buckets full of sugar beets the harvestor missed. My brothers, sons and I used about half them. The the rest where on a pile behind my barn. They where all gone before spring.
Really getting the bug to start hunting season. It just really felt good setting in that stand dreaming about what might step out from behind those trees. The chipmunks scolding me for invading their tree. Watching the sun dip below the clouds on the horizon.
To borrow Pappy's line . "Life is Good"  I might add, don't forget to enjoy it.
Bjrogg

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 07:45:49 am »
great place BJ
are stone points on that arrows?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 08:26:51 am »
great place BJ
are stone points on that arrows?

Thanks Glis. No stone points on them yet. Hopefully when they pass through a nice animal come fall. I'll practice with these now and knap some points the proper weight a little closer to season. I do practice with stone points but I've found it's kinda hard on my target and takes the nice sharp edge off the points to. I'll still give em a few shoots though.
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 11:06:52 am »
All I see are crooked rows of beans and skips from your planter :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 11:16:06 am »
BJ,
Surely a few hay or straw bales around to use the stone points on, the critters won't mind as long as the points don't come off in the bales, chops the salad a little finer! >:D (lol). Nice views!  We can't bait out here, so I will have to look for a watering hole or trail crossing if I get to bow hunt deer or elk, and set a ground blind.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 11:49:13 am »
All I see are crooked rows of beans and skips from your planter :)

Ha ha.thats a real farmer talking there Pearl. The sweet corn was planted by my neighbor. He has a bunch of antique farm equipment. I store some of it for him and he plants my sweet corn. It's not real precision but but it's better than planting it by hand. The beans were planted by more modern equipment with gps and auto steer. Have to blame the satellites for that one.lol. I noticed though I'm setup where a sprayer track meet the end rows. Everything walks the sprayer tracks. I've been blessed with a few pop up bean showers right here. It's been extremely dry in our area this year and most crops don't look so good. It did give us a couple nice little rains now in the last two weeks in about a 8 mile band along the big lake but further in land it's still dry here. The temperature has come down again so that's helping a bit during pollination. Don't forget to eat your beans guy's and gals. Heck I don't even care if you eat but put some on your plate.lol. Seriously though their starting to make some pretty interesting products from them. I kinda like those black bean chips and the beans themselves are very high in protein.
Yes Jerry I'll shoot some stone points at bales and such, but I've found it I just get some nice shooting arrows tuned to my bow and knap a proper weight stone point to replace the steel target point they are usually good shooters and they get tested but then saved for hunting.
I do use bait but actually don't really like hunting over it. I'd rather setup somewhere coming or going to it.
Thanks for looking
Bjrogg

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:15 pm »
Wishing you mucho mojo and nothing but clean kills or clean misses from it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 02:51:04 pm »
Thanks JW. Last year was clean miss. That's one of the big reasons for the new ladder stand and putting it up by my house to practice more. I do like this stand better. I like the seat folds up and I half a bigger platform to stand on. I can stand turned to the my right for shoots from the right side. It feels more comfortable standing on it and much better setting on it. I can hit what I'm shooting at from all directions. Now just gotta practice till it automatic. Cause when the time comes that's how it's gotta be.
Bjrogg

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 06:47:32 am »
That a big field of beans. They are likely to spread out all over it once heading into it. I would assume your hunting the trail out from the bedding area?
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 08:10:56 am »
Yes Rob. Gotta get em coming and going. It's a pretty good challenge. I can use some bait to try steer them in the direction I want them to go. It does help. They like certain spots and I know the land almost as good as they do. They are creatures of habit but also throw a lot of curves. I guess that's what makes it interesting. Even if they don't get close enough they usually get pretty close and I get to watch them. Sometimes I just setup far enough away that they don't know I'm watching and observe where they enter and exit the field. Then I just try to setup closer. This is really just my practice spot but I might try to draw them in. It's usually dark by the time they come to my garden during season. They will be hitting these beans hard now, but the beans will be ripe and hopefully harvested a few weeks before season. Hopefully will have wheat planted and up by then and volunteer beans growing from the ones the harvestor missed.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 12:14:14 pm »
Between the corn and beans, they should make sleek, fat venison, with tallow left over for candles, or pemmican, maybe even bow grease! (SH) :-D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry