Author Topic: New hunting bow?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Ezra Knight

New hunting bow?
« on: July 29, 2018, 03:06:00 pm »
Just finished tillering a new bow that was supposed to be my new hunting bow, but I missed my weight a bit. I was hoping to hunt deer and maybe even try for elk this year. It pulls 40 pounds. Is this enough for whitetail and elk? I got a pass through on hog last year with a 43 pound bow. I just wanna be sure that I’m gonna be able to harvest an animal with it

Offline bitterman

Re: New hunting bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 04:25:44 pm »
40lbs here is minimum for whitetail.
50lbs for moose. Not sure about elk as no season for them. Elk and moose would be similar I expect both bigger than a deer

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 04:50:23 pm »
Check your states regulations on poundage...but shot placement is most important.  100 or 40 lbs doesn't matter if you don't put the arrow in the vitals (heart lung area).  It took me along time before I was confident enough to shoot an arrow at an animal an feel confident to put the arrow where it is suppose to be... I have a lot of respect for the animal I'm hunting whether it be a squirrel or an elk. Just keep that in mind....:)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 12:04:57 pm »
35# is the minimum weight for big game in Colorado.  Deer, elk, pronghorn, and bear.   Steel broad heads, minimum 7/8 inch wide.  Check the regs for the state you plan to hunt.  Good luck!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 12:35:29 pm »
Have you ever killed an elk with a bow? Or a deer? I'm asking only because if you have, then you probably know what it takes other than shot placement.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 01:09:44 pm »
Here is some interesting info:

40# bow - 145 FPS - 480 grain arrow = 23 #s of Ke
50# bow - 160 fps - 500 grain arrow = 32 #'s of Ke

That's a huge variance and one I would want on my side. That is the difference between 4-6" of penetration and 8-12". One lung or two? I think we know which will end better for the critter and you. I have shot dozens and dozens of deer with a bow. Things don't always go as planned and sometimes that "heavier" bow can pull you through where the light bow will let you down and the critter. IMO, extra light bows are for folks with a lot of experience not only shooting, but especially hunting and killing animals.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 03:58:20 pm »
with a selfbow, #40 will take down a deer. I wouldn't even consider it for elk. let's not get so lost in the romance of self bows that we ignore ethical responsibilities. my minimum setup for elk is a 650 grain arrow going 145 fps. this goes for glass bows as well.