Author Topic: My latest Deer recipes  (Read 6786 times)

Offline archeryrob

My latest Deer recipes
« on: July 31, 2018, 06:30:16 am »
I have been trying out new recipes for deer meat. The wife is not a plain deer meat fan and my buddies wife the same way, so doctoring it up and cutting with pork and beef works for us. I just did all this the past weekend and getting recipes and skills tuned in for the coming deer season.

Deer dogs
There are more like the precooked hot dogs in packs they try and market as sausages, because they are flavored. These are great with mustard and garlic flavor.
https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2018/07/30/deer-dogs/

Beer Brats
Very simple but nice recipe.
https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2018/07/30/beer-brats-made-with-venison/

Lebanon bologna
My wifes favorite and I am not allowed to give out the actual recipe, but one similar is linked in the text. Its not traditional as they use bacteria cultures and some use ECA to give it that twang. I tried to suggest ECA and was told to stand down and make it HER WAY!  -C-
https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2018/07/30/lebanon-bologna/

"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Stoker

Re: My latest Deer recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 03:45:58 pm »
Hotdogs are on my to do list.. Have to giver a try
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 11:15:00 pm »
Do use plenty of fat, probably 15-20%!  Made some. Elk brats with about 10% beef fat and they are too dry.  Don't like pork fat that much.  Found a cookbook with a bunch of good sounding recipes.  Immediately tried to think of better variations, but didn't have any venison!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 04:12:44 am »
Yes you need more fat. My bologna is about 13% fat and hotdogs and sausages are 25 - 30% fat. I made some sausages before that were 13% such as my bologna is and they were dry too. I have a fat calculator in excel that I use to determine the mixture. Pork butt is about 25 - 30% fat and I add pork fat and venison makes up 50% of my sausage. I tweak the pork to get the fat content I want. Some want just venison and they you use 7# venison to 3# pork fat to make great sausages. My wife likes them cut more to reduce the wild taste. She's a corn feed meat person.

Johnsonville and other sausages in the store just have to be under 50% so they are probably in the 40 - 45% fat which is OK, but I like 30% for taste and healthy options. My turkey sausage was only 20% and was good, but it had a texture like spam or a processed meat. Not sure if it was the fat content or the Turkey, but it was still good. I noticed this also and several chefs covered it. The fat helps you taste the spices. If they are too dry you will not get the same flavors. Some of the sausage making sites guys vary from 20% all the way to 50% and its all personal taste, but I like 25 - 30% as a happy medium.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 09:33:34 am »
Nice work. I bet the dogs are delicious.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 03:23:27 pm »
Those brats sure look good pearl,i could live on dogs and sausages.i always killed a deer for my brrother in law and he makes the brats.