Author Topic: Steel knapping tools  (Read 2792 times)

Offline raalf

• Instagram - raaaaaaaaaalf
Steel knapping tools
« on: August 01, 2018, 02:37:55 am »
Okay so the primitives use bone and antler as knapping tools.
The modern use copper.

What is the disadvantage of using hardened steel tools in flint knapping, other than its historical inaccuracy?
Hi, I'm Ralf. I live in the Netherlands and I love Yew.

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Steel knapping tools
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 04:17:12 am »
Pressure:
The hardness of steel makes it very slippery. There’s a noticable difference between steel and even the hardest copper you can buy. Steel will tend to slip when applying more pressure to pop a big flake. Although, you can use a mild steel like the ones for horse shoe nails for notching and serrating. This is because steel has the strength to be very thin and not wear down as quickly. The thinness gives you the ability to be very precise.
Percusion:
This is where steel is normally found being used. Small ball peen hammers can be used to quickly flake some tough rock. I’ve also seen people use sledge hammers to spall massive boulders as nothing else besides another really big rock would work.

That’s what I know in a nutshell

Offline raalf

• Instagram - raaaaaaaaaalf
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 05:15:26 am »
Can I replace my hammer stone or antler billet with a ball hammer and get the same results out of the flint?
Hi, I'm Ralf. I live in the Netherlands and I love Yew.

Offline Blitzkrieg721

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:49:59 am »
Can I replace my hammer stone or antler billet with a ball hammer and get the same results out of the flint?

No, steel is way to hard and will damage the internal structure of the stone by putting to much shock into it. the reason why softer materials are used it that they absorb some of the shock when they contact the material while also deforming a bit in order to "grab" the flake. if you try to knap with hardened steel you will end up with lots of internal fractures, cones, and crushed platform edges.  :-K

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 08:46:16 am »
Ryan and Blitz nailed it.

WA

Offline Beesriwara

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 12:57:46 am »
Read the content and feel that this is a very good thing. I like it very much.

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 06:46:53 pm »
Yup I concur,  I'm made some pressure flakers from one nail and a tent spike, (fail) it's very hard to run a good flake.
Not all those who wander are lost.