Author Topic: Golden Bamboo  (Read 3350 times)

grantmac

Golden Bamboo
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:52:36 am »
I think I've got some of this stuff growing in my folks yard, anything think it'll makes some decent shafts? I'm pretty sure its PHYLLOSTACHYS AUREA. Only problem I see is that it appears to have quite a few small branchs, but other than that it's tall a straight. Pictures will be posted if I harvest any.
         Grant

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Golden Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:43:18 am »
Grant, it works if you can find small enough stems that don't have a bunch of branches (and dips behind the nodes) on them. I've made a couple from it in the past (have some growing in the edge of my yard.) There's a lot of the stuff naturalized around here. I need to cut some and give it a serious trial.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:43:03 pm »
Isn't golden boo too big for arrows. The patches I've seen had culms(canes) of at least 1" in diameter.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

grantmac

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:34:20 pm »
Yeah it's all pretty big except for the tops. I figure I could probably make an Atlatl dart and an arrow or two out of every culm. It's either this or I buy a bunch of tomato stakes at the nursery.
     Cheers,
           Grant

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 12:05:53 am »
The tops of the culm probably won't work too well because they are so flattened and dipped in above the nodes. If you can find some growing in a really dry place, there will be some arrow-sized culms. It makes good atlatl darts, I've made several out of my patch. It has bigger nodes than river cane or arrow boo.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.